Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu install on netbook -- what is this mess?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu install on netbook -- what is this mess?

I was all excited about installing Kubuntu on a netbook I just got. It's got plenty of resources -- 2 GB of RAM and a 240 GB hard drive. Should be a snap, eh? Not really. Kubuntu installed and indicated no problems along the way, but what I've ended up doesn't look like Kubuntu. It looks like the Gobbledygook of a bad Linux distro. There's no K button, and the task bar insists on being on the top instead of the bottom. I can't get Muon Discover or Muon Package Manager to run without crashing.

This thing actually came with regular Ubuntu, which was running fine. I've installed Kubuntu 13.10/64. Does it need the 32-bit version? I installed the 64 because I want to install FreeFileSync, which only runs on 64-bit Linux distros. Out of curiosity beforehand I attempted to install Linux Mint/KDE, but could not get it to install. It froze up.

Here's the kerflooey that I'm seeing:

Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

That is the plasma netbook desktop, which is enabled when he instal detects a netbook.

Pretty easy to switch, just go to system settings, workspace behavior, workspace, select Desktop type.

I rather liked it on the tiny screen of my netbook, but as it is an old Celeron eeepc, KDE was a bit too much for it.

Lubuntu has a similar option for a netbook tiny-ass screen layout that is ok, but the KDE is far better if one has enough horsepower, or gerbil power, rather.

I am going to guess that it is a 32 bit system, I don't know of there were any 64 bit netbooks made, for the most part, but since it installed for you, I must be wrong

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      That is the plasma netbook desktop, which is enabled when he instal detects a netbook.

Pretty easy to switch, just go to system settings, workspace behavior, workspace, select Desktop type.

I rather liked it on the tiny screen of my netbook, but as it is an old Celeron eeepc, KDE was a bit too much for it.

Lubuntu has a similar option for a netbook tiny-ass screen layout that is ok, but the KDE is far better if one has enough horsepower, or gerbil power, rather.

I am going to guess that it is a 32 bit system, I don't know of there were any 64 bit netbooks made, for the most part, but since it installed for you, I must be wrong

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters
      Thanks. That fixed that. It still is having problems with both Muon Discover and Muon Package Manager. Discover always crashes and Package Manager runs and lets me choose to install something, but it won't pop up the dialogue for my password, then it complains that I didn't put in my password. Annoying. I'm going to try Kubuntu 32 bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        Thanks. That fixed that. It still is having problems with both Muon Discover and Muon Package Manager. Discover always crashes and Package Manager runs and lets me choose to install something, but it won't pop up the dialogue for my password, then it complains that I didn't put in my password. Annoying. I'm going to try Kubuntu 32 bit.
        I believe your Muon problem will be fixed after you do an update. Of course it's broke, so you can't update! However, if you open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get update

and after it refreshes the repositories enter
        sudo apt-get upgrade

You should be working

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
          I believe your Muon problem will be fixed after you do an update. Of course it's broke, so you can't update! However, if you open a terminal and enter:

sudo apt-get update

and after it refreshes the repositories enter
          sudo apt-get upgrade

You should be working
          Thanks for the info. I have a decision to make. I'm all set to return this netbook to the pawn shop tomorrow. It was dirt cheap for a reason. Only 80 bucks got me an Asus netbook with 2 GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive. I thought it was marked so far down because it had Ubuntu on it instead of its original Windows 7 Starter. However, I've discovered that it has a totally improper charger. It has some kind of jury-rigged Duracell universal charger with a cheap and improper plug-in piece, one that doesn't always stay in and that shows exposed pins even when it is plugged in. I showed it to a clerk at Radio Shack who said that it's a total jury rig of a charger and isn't even the proper voltage and that this crappy charger could burn the thing out. She suggested that I contact Asus for a proper charger, which probably won't be a ton of money, maybe about $20 for the charger and $10 shipping.

What I wonder about is if the use of a jury-rigged charger could have damaged the computer inside in ways that I have not yet detected. I can return the netbook within 15 days. They had other netbooks. I could swap it for another, but the others were more money. I have Windows 7 Starter installed on this ready for its return. The thing has a license for Windows 7 -- its sticker is on the bottom. I have a technician's copy of Win 7 Starter, so I put it on and put in the key and activated it. I figure the pawn shop will be more willing to give me a trade-in deal with my putting the original OS on it, which is the one most people shopping for a laptop want. But I can tell them I'll put Ubuntu back on if that's what they prefer. Win 7 appears to be running perfectly on the thing. I was thinking its annoying Muon problems were somehow hardware related, but I'd bet they're not. I'd bet the update you suggested will work magic.

There was a nice Dell netbook down there, but it was a lot more money. It was about $190 to $200 if I remember right. It would still be cheaper to order a new charger. For that to be worth it, this thing needs to not have been damaged by the jury-rigged one. It does appear to be running fine. I can always put Kubuntu back on it. With 2 GB of memory I could even conceivably dual boot this thing.

The two options are to exchange it for the more expensive Dell or to keep it and order a proper charger. I guess a third option is to just return it for my money back and keep my eye out for another netbook. I'm curious what others would do in my shoes.

Edit: Wow, the charger is totally affordable. This is an Asus Eee PC 105 PEB. I found the charger here:
          http://www.amazon.com/1016P-BU17-BK-.../dp/B004SWEL4C

That's less than I thought. Now I'm leaning toward keeping it. It's fully charged. I won't have to plug in that rigged charger for a while. I think I'll play around with this little laptop and see if I can detect any hardware problems. I'll sleep on this. I'm interested in your opinions.
          Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Feb 12, 2014, 01:22 AM. Reason: one more detail

Comment

There are a wide variety of Asus netbooks out there, even ones with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HD. What is the model # of your Asus?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              There are a wide variety of Asus netbooks out there, even ones with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HD. What is the model # of your Asus?
              Model: Asus Eee PC 1015 PEB

Comment

Working...
              X