Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

numlock state needs to be decided by myself.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

numlock state needs to be decided by myself.

Fresh install of 13.10 just last night (first booted from installed OS about 1 AM, Jan 12 2014), Desktop system.

I set my BIOS to enable numlock, while I boot, it is enabled until I see the first graphical Kubuntu screen, then numlock shuts off.
    I immediately press numlock, it stays on until the screen goes black, just before loading the login screen. The black screen exists for about 1.5 - 2.0 seconds, sometimes a bit longer if I installed something,
    I quickly press numlock once again, it stays on during the black phase until the login screen appears. Then it goes off. Again.

So, I've turned numlock on 3 times, Kubuntu/KDE has turned it off 3 times.

I'm not discussing a laptop configuration, this is a desktop system (remember those?).

Skipping a well thought out rant which I'd prefer to include in this post, could someone:
    a] tell me which file configures the login screen,
    b] tell me the path to that file, and
    c] maybe explain what do I enter in that file to have the login screen ENABLE the numlock
    as I wish numlock to be enabled when I begin typing my password (an industry advised secure password, one which has numbers and letters, upper case and lower case)?

This numlock state really should become a user selected setting made in the distro installation process.

TIA.
    Last edited by mmmmna; Jan 12, 2014, 05:25 PM. Reason: solved

Read:

Enable NumLock in KDE

From the K Menu, launch System Settings and click on Keyboard (Edgy users: K Menu -> System Settings -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard). You can see in the middle section the options for "NumLock on KDE Startup", where you can choose to Turn On, Turn Off, or Leave Unchanged. Select "Turn On" to turn NumLock on at startup.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

where you can choose to Turn On, Turn Off, or Leave Unchanged. Select "Turn On" to turn NumLock on at startup.
      Nope. The numlock remained turned off until after I entered my password. I think this turns the numlock on AFTER login.

Comment

Maybe How to enable numlock at boot time for login screen?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's what worked for me:
          1. Ensure that numlockx is installed:
            sudo apt-get install numlockx

2. Edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
            gksudo gedit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

3. Add the following line to the file:
            greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on

Save and reboot.
          numlock turns on just before the login screen, and stayed on for me.

Comment

Working...
          X