X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enter password for user log in then loading doesn't appear to continue

Hello

Well, this has really been sometime since I have been here and used Kubuntu... but I have returned to Kubuntu after sometime not using any Linux.
    I installed Kubuntu flawlessly, logged in and duly updated and upgraded with no apparent issues .
    After restarting the system and selecting Kubuntu from dual boot, the login screen shows my name, so I enter my password and then the screen changes to the screen background you should see as the icons appear showing the system loading. This is where the problem lies.... in that the icons do not appear it just stays on this background and nothing happens or loads, it does not seem to hang as the mouse is still moveable.
    Anyone have any ideas to amend this problem or solutions to assist?
    Thank you in advance, I have tried searching the forum but found nothing like this problem so I apologise now if this is a duplication or a problem seen many time.
    There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Reboot. When you see the graphical logon, press Ctrl+Alt+F2. This will take you to a text console. Log on here with your normal user ID and password. Then type startx. What happens?

Comment

Steve

Thank you for your reply. I realise how much I had forgotten!
      On startx, the system returned the following, but this is the final two lines,

"xinit: connection to x server lost
      waiting for x server to shut down (EE) server terminated successfully (0) closing log file"

I did not update or change my graphic drivers so this confused me, but am I right thinking this is the graphic drivers not working? I have Nvidia card (Geforce GT220)
      What would you suggest is the best way forward now?
      Thank you
      Last edited by Bukunut; Jan 07, 2014, 08:56 PM.
      There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukunut View Post
        On startx, the system returned the following, but this is the final two lines,

"xinit: connection to x server lost
        waiting for x server to shut down (EE) server terminated successfully (0) closing log file"
        You wrote "final two lines"...is there more?

Also, please attach the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log so that I can take a loot at it.

Comment

Steve

I was reading a lot tonight and purged my graphic drivers and then started from scratch, I have managed to log in and get Nvidia drivers working.
          Than you for your valued help and assistance and pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

Cool, glad you got it working.

LOL @ your sig

Comment

Working...
            X