This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

busting the myth that Linux ain't for novices

Our neighbors gave up on an old Lenovo laptop with Windows XP that they probably bought in about 2013. It was running absurdly slow. It may have had undetected viruses or the disk may have just gotten slow due to the crappy NTFS file system or Windows may have just gotten buggy. It doesn't matter. I decided to wipe the thing by installing Kubuntu. (I also fooled around with Lubuntu, Ubuntu, and Puppy Linux, ultimately deciding on Kubuntu.) They probably bought this thing in about 2004. It has a Celeron processor and has been upgraded to 2 GB of RAM.

It's running great. I had thought that the slowness could possibly have been because of a hard drive about to fail, but the drive is fine. The laptop is for my roommate who is close to computer illiterate. All he needs it for is to run LibreOffice Calc, Skype, CherryTree, to surf the net, and to play videos he's taken on his Kodak digital camera. That's it. There's no need to make this thing a dual boot or to install WINE or VirtualBox. This is a case where Linux-based software will take care of all his needs.

And this near computer illiterate person is using his laptop just fine. He says he likes it better than Windows. He has a Dell touchscreen desktop with Windows 7, using all the same software I've described above. He says Windows annoys him by always bugging him to update Adobe this or that. I put one of the free antivirus programs on his desktop (Security Essentials), which of course automatically updates and slows the thing down while doing so. He's enjoying not having to screw with that.

So consider the myth that Linux is only for power users busted, at least for using it once already installed. When I installed Kubuntu, I had one big tech hurdle to get over, and that was getting the wireless networking card working. I was not able to get it working just from the info I found in Google searches. I got help on the Ubuntu forum. He would not have been able to solve that problem or even to know where to look for answers. However, if this had been a Kubuntu PC bought off the shelf, he would have been fine. And certain things are easier like not having to fool with an antivirus program. The laptop has no built-in web cam. However, to my great surprise, his Logitech web cam worked as plug and play. I was sure I was going to have to hunt for a driver, but I didn't.

I don't have a problem to solve. I'm just posting this so that everyone can hear the success story of a novice Linux user. My ruling is that Linux is for beginners, at least for just using the computer. For setting it up, some expertise is often needed. Not always, but many times. On my laptop the wireless card worked straight away with no need to hunt for a driver or run any commands in the Konsole.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Bravo!
    My experience perzaakly! I donated, sometimes sold well into a hundred and fifty systems with a Linux on them, several to the wives of people who had developing Alzheimers, they mainly played online games to exercise their minds.

Had zero complaints and quite a few of the systems were perking along fine several years later.

So again.... BRAVO ! to you!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Dittos, Woodsmoke!
      I've put Kubuntu on a couple dozen computers donated to or owned by folks my age, all of whom have no computer literacy at all. They have no trouble using the web, emailing, playing games, writing letters, using their printers (if they have one).
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good going!!!!

Comment

Good job!

I've just done something similar for a friend of mine. His needs were very basic also: surfing the web (mainly Facebook) and email (quite happy using Outlook web mail) and Solitaire.

I bought an old Acer TravelMate laptop (Centrino Duo 1.6Ghz, 2Gb ram, 80Gb hdd) being recycled from corporate use (no operating system on it, just what I wanted). Installed Kubuntu 12.04 on it no problem, it ran very well with all effects on except blur. With blur turned on it was noticeably lagging but all the other effects were fine (I was thinking of installing Xubuntu if it was too slow but Kubuntu seems fine to me at least and more importantly he is happy with the performance). He is very happy with it and it does what he wants it to do. He was surprised how quickly he was able to transfer photos from his camera and I said it doesn't have an antivirus program bogging it down!

The only thing I had trouble with was the Vodafone USB mobile broadband modem (K4201) he uses for the internet. I checked beforehand that it was supported in Linux (Ubuntu) and it was (since 10.04). But I could not get it to work at first. It stubbornly refused to switch to modem mode and was only seen by the system as a USB storage device. The vodem ID obtained from lsusb (12d1:1576) was not in the usb_modeswitch database (inexplicably??). I can't figure out why it was supposedly working in earlier versions of (K)ubuntu but not a later version (according to Vodafone documentation)?? In the end I had to compile usb_modeswitch from source to update it to the latest version (2.0.1) which definitely supports this modem. After a reboot the modem performed as expected.

I think Kubuntu is fine for beginners too.
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Now you are learning the magic of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
              Our neighbors gave up on an old Lenovo laptop with Windows XP that they probably bought in about 2013.
              "Old" when the indicated year isn't even over yet? Wow, I'd hate to play keep-up-the-Joneses with that neighbor...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                "Old" when the indicated year isn't even over yet? Wow, I'd hate to play keep-up-the-Joneses with that neighbor...
                Typo. Supposed to be 2003.
                Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                ================================

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  .... Installed Kubuntu 12.04 on it no problem, it ran very well ....
                  An excellent reason for keeping 12.04 around beyond it's EOL, because the newer releases of both Kubuntu and the kernels are less friendly with the 8yr old, and older, laptops.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X