X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot errors

I get a plethora of error messages during booting because

/socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event is "no such file or directory"

Peering into /lib/udev shows that indeed, no such file as "socket" exists!
    Looking into /lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules shows that 90-hal.rules is generating
    these error messages.

Contents of 90-hal.rules:

# pass all events to the HAL daemon
    RUN+="socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"

This is a new problem since upgrading to V13.10; how do I fix it?

I've run into all kinds of problems with the udev system in V13.10 (For example, usbmount fixed the OS
    not recognizing jumpdrives, and my PC now mounts them in /media/usb0,1,etc).
    I would like to fix all the USB mounting problems in one go (this includes the /dev/cdrom as well!)

Is there some missing package that will fix these udev/usb problems?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 09, 2013, 11:56 AM.

HAL has been completely deprecated for Saucy. The package hal is no longer built and you shouldn't have a 90-hal.rules file.

What's the output of
    Code:
    dpkg -l | egrep "hal|udev|udisk|systemd"
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 09, 2013, 03:04 AM.

Comment

The output of the command you suggested is:

Code:
      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
      ii  fonts-lklug-sinhala         0.6-3                    all   Unicode Sinhala font by Lanka Linux User Group
      ii  hal                         0.5.14-8ubuntu1          i386  Hardware Abstraction Layer
      ii  hal-info                    20091130-1               all   Hardware Abstraction Layer - fdi files
      ii  libgudev-1.0-0:i386         1:204-0ubuntu19          i386  GObject-based wrapper library for libudev
      ii  libgudev1.0-cil             0.1-3                    all   GObject-based wrapper library for libudev -- CLI bindings
      ii  libhal-storage1             0.5.14-8ubuntu1          i386  Hardware Abstraction Layer - shared library for storage devices
      ii  libhal1                     0.5.14-8ubuntu1          i386  Hardware Abstraction Layer - shared library
      ii  libkephal4abi1              4:4.11.2-0ubuntu1        i386  API for easier handling of multihead systems
      ii  libpam-systemd:i386         204-0ubuntu19            i386  system and service manager - PAM module
      ii  libsystemd-daemon0:i386     204-0ubuntu19            i386  systemd utility library
      ii  libsystemd-login0:i386      204-0ubuntu19            i386  systemd login utility library
      ii  libudev0:i386               175-0ubuntu13            i386  udev library
      ii  libudev1:i386               204-0ubuntu19            i386  libudev shared library
      ii  libudisks2-0:i386           2.1.0-4                  i386  GObject based library to access udisks2
      ii  python-pyudev               0.16.1-2                 all   Python bindings for libudev
      ii  system-config-printer-udev  1.4.2+20130920-0ubuntu1  i386  Printer auto-configuration facility based on udev
      ii  systemd-services            204-0ubuntu19            i386  systemd runtime services
      ii  systemd-shim                3+real-0ubuntu1          i386  shim for systemd
      ii  udev                        204-0ubuntu19            i386  /dev/ and hotplug management daemon
      ii  udisks                      1.0.4-8ubuntu1           i386  storage media interface
      ii  udisks-doc                  1.0.4-8ubuntu1           all   storage media interface - documentation
      ii  udisks2                     2.1.0-4                  i386  D-BUS service to access and manipulate storage devices
      ii  udisks2-doc                 2.1.0-4                  all   udisks2 documentation
      So, would this cause udev to drift off into the weeds also?
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 10, 2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Well, your udev, udisks, and udisks2 packages are up to date. What's the output of:
        Code:
        apt-cache policy hal
        No, udev isn't going away. But some of the stuff it used to handle is migrating to udisks2.

Comment

Results from that command are:
          Code:
          hal
            Installed: 0.5.14-8ubuntu1
            Candidate: 0.5.14-8ubuntu1
            Version table:
           *** 0.5.14-8ubuntu1 0
              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
          What I meant by drifting off into the weeds is udev is NOT operating the same way any more.
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 12, 2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Notice how the output has no link to a version in any repository? That's a clue that the package is no longer part of *buntu. You should purge it. Also make sure that /lib/udev/rules.d/90-hal.rules goes away; purging the package should delete the file. You're receiving the error because Udev is iterating through all the files in /lib/udev/. It's choking on 90-hal.rules because the underlying architecture that was HAL is no longer present.

Originally posted by stychokiller View Post
            I've run into all kinds of problems with the udev system in V13.10 (For example, usbmount fixed the OS
            not recognizing jumpdrives, and my PC now mounts them in /media/usb0,1,etc).
            I would like to fix all the USB mounting problems in one go (this includes the /dev/cdrom as well!)
            All of that is handled by the desktop via udisks2; you don't need usbmount or any other kind of automounter now. Purge that package (and pmount, if you've got that too) and then go to System Settings | Removable Devices and enable automatic mounting.

Comment

Even after all that (plus a reboot!), any USB device or CDROM sez: "Could not mount the following device: DEV_NAME_HERE"
              I can see the /dev/ entry(s) get created and deleted, The System Settings - Removable Devices list(s) get updated, AND the Removable Device Automounter service is running, so what gives? No directories get created in /media either.

Comment

Originally posted by stychokiller View Post
                Even after all that (plus a reboot!), any USB device or CDROM sez: "Could not mount the following device: DEV_NAME_HERE"
                I can see the /dev/ entry(s) get created and deleted, The System Settings - Removable Devices list(s) get updated, AND the Removable Device Automounter service is running, so what gives? No directories get created in /media either.
                BUMP!

Comment

Working...
                X