This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Manager not showing any details

Just upgraded to 13.10 and when clicking the networkmanager icon I only get the list on the picture attached, not any details like wireless network strength etc even if I select all available details on the configuration screen.
    Any help please?

Because the previous was my first post I couldn't attach the screenshot so here it is

Comment

Click on each entry to 'open/show more' which gives you then, the configuration wrench.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Click on each entry to 'open/show more' which gives you then, the configuration wrench.
        Thank you, yes that gives me the details but doesn't seem very practical, I carry my laptop everywhere and generally connect to the wireless connection with the best signal, on previous previews of plasma-nm the signal strength was available right to the side of the network name which was much more practical IMHO.
        This (usability) was not what this thread was about, so I think it can be marked as "fixed" or "user noobness", don't know what the rules are on this forum and if I or a mod should do it.

Comment

They (programmers) changed the networkmanager applet. Some would say for the worse. But, that's how it is.

Comment

Agree having the network strength easil visible for those who travel with their lappys is more useful. Maybe if enough noise is made they will put it back in.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

But it does.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WIFI_Signal_Strength.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	640507
              The signal strength is represented by the antenna icons. The more radii, the stronger the signal.

Comment

Very hard to see with light styles like QTCurve. In fact just about impossible.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Always consider Occam's Razor
                Rich

Comment

A newer version of plasma-nm is available. However, it depends on libraries that aren't shipped with Saucy, and to get it to work would require a bit of packaging-foo. See Launchpad bug 1243822.

Comment

At least they can see the connections. my network manager doesn’t display anything not even the wired connection that obviously is working. It shows a red x on the network connection icon.
                    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I guess the "if ain't broken, don't try to fix it" rule was not followed by the programmers of the networkmanager applet...
                      Last edited by geoaraujo; Oct 31, 2013, 07:59 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                        I guess the "if ain't broken, don't try to fix it" rule were not followed by the programmers of the networkmanager applet...
                        Actually, the idea for the new network manager applet is quite sound. A single applet, written almost purely in QML that works on the desktop and Plasma Active. The problem is, the implementation is poor even though I am glad we are moving it to QML. QML makes it very easy to separate GUI and backend which is the basis of Plasma2. Different interfaces for different form factors but a common back-end. QML makes making GUIs incredibly easy so if the developer did it properly, you should be able to edit the source .qml files easily and get something similar to the old applet. Unfortunately it's beyond most people's capabilities.

You should be able to still use the old widget with 4.11

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                          You should be able to still use the old widget with 4.11
                          In Kubuntu, the package for the old widget is empty -- it simply has a hard dependency on the new widget's package. I have not tested manually downloading and installing the package from Raring on Saucy. I'm not at my PC now and thus can't check whether additional dependencies might prevent it from being installed.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            In Kubuntu, the package for the old widget is empty -- it simply has a hard dependency on the new widget's package. I have not tested manually downloading and installing the package from Raring on Saucy. I'm not at my PC now and thus can't check whether additional dependencies might prevent it from being installed.
                            Yeah, I was actually suggesting to build from source. Maybe there is a ppa out there. openSUSE decided to stick to the old applet for their upcoming 13.1 release. I'm thankful for that. I really do not like the new network manager.

Comment

Working...
                            X