This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twice Frozen Like A Block Of Ice

I have Saucy installed, upgraded from the 2nd beta. This install usually runs well, but the last two mornings when I get up, my computer has been frozen solid, requiring a hard reboot. I don't know what to check, i.e., log files, whatever to find out what the problem may be. I probably wouldn't understand it if I did. So where do I look for something I can show here? I don't have a problem reinstalling, been there done that plenty of times, but this one time I'd like to take a chance that I might learn from this problem.

Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
    Linux 3.11.0-12
    KDE SC V.4.11.2
    Nvidia 319.60
    Intel Core i7-920
    6 GB RAM
    Root: 49 GB
    Swap: 6 GB
    Home: 212 GB
    Dual boot w/Windows 8.1
    Last edited by notabug; Oct 21, 2013, 08:56 PM.
    Linux User #454271

Laptop? Desktop? What are your Power Settings? System Settings > Power Management
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Desktop. Power settings have been disabled as much as I can so everything remains operating. I have everything unchecked. Also, my video card is an Nvidia GT430 w/1 GB RAM. The PC is of 2009 vintage.

Edit: I should mention that this didn't happen in prior Kubuntu versions and doesn't happen in Windows.
      Last edited by notabug; Oct 20, 2013, 01:44 PM.
      Linux User #454271

Comment

So that I'm clear; does the display show your Desktop, but *nothing* works; no mouse movement, no keys, etc., or the display is black with no mouse movement (not even the mouse cursor), and nothing you try gets the Desktop to display?

Comment

I'm sorry, yes, a normal desktop, the cursor is visable, but not movable. Nothing moves or is active. No keyboard or mouse.
          Linux User #454271

Comment

Well, try an experiment. Tonight, before you retire, open a console and run top:
            Code:
            Go to bed. In the morning, if frozen again, what's listed under the COMMAND column in the top output?

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. I'll do that. Kind of like setting a trap for a "rat".
              Linux User #454271

Comment

I apologize for taking up so much of your time today, but I just read another users reply to a thread that mentions Compositing Type: OpenGL 3.1 and I was still using 2.0. After changing to 3.1 I notice an increase in speed. If this might interfer with the experiment, I'll gladly revert to version 2.0. Thank you.
                Linux User #454271

Comment

Nope. Won't interfere. Are you also using Raster for the Qt graphics system? The notes suggest to use Raster when using OpenGL. Again, these changes won't hurt the experiment.

Comment

I have the QT graphics set to Native, but I profess I don't know what that means. I think that was the default setting along with the OpenGL 2.0. Do you recommend a change to Raster?
                    Linux User #454271

Comment

Try. If it accepts, I'd stick with it (that's the combination I'm using on both of my laptops), as again, the recommendation is to use Raster with OpenGL.

Comment

Changed to Raster and nothing blew up. Thanks
                        Linux User #454271

Comment

Oh come on notabug, you're still going to run top right? The suspense is killing me! I gotta know what happens!

I'll tell ya one thing, this is making me more and more glad I am sticking with LTS releases, the forum activity spikes after each release, lol.

Comment

Top will be at the 'top' of my list of things to do before heading to bed.
                            Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug View Post
                              Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
                              Linux 3.11.0-12
                              KDE SC V.4.11.2
                              Nvidia 319.60
                              Intel Core i7-920
                              6 GB RAM
                              Root: 49 GB
                              Swap: 6 GB
                              Home: 212 GB
                              Dual boot w/Windows 8.1
                              Nice computer BTW, I'm jealous, I so want an i7.

Edit: You can keep the WinDOHS though, lol.
                              Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 20, 2013, 04:21 PM. Reason: One last smart arse remark, lol

Comment

Working...
                              X