Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you intend to keep your laptop working for as long as possible, take it to a reputable PC repair shop and have them do a thorough cleaning. Small price to pay, and cheaper than buying a new one.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I may do that for my current laptop, as I'm not planning on writing it off when I get a new one.

I'm set on a new one though, there are some things (hardware specific) that are really bugging me about this one, and I use it so much!
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I've taken apart and repaired (or attempted to repair) several old laptops. A big problem is that the plastic connectors attached to the ribbon cables that connect signals from the mobo to the keyboard, IO board and other devices are very brittle and break easily. Once they break there is little hope of getting a replacement, and soldering the ribbon to where the connector was isn't a good solution. Another problem is that the phillips (or other special) head screws get chewed up because the screw was locktit'd in or was welding tight with corrosion. I'm at the point right now that if an old laptop stops working I tell the unfortunate owner to start looking for a replacement. Amazon if they want a new one or the local computer store if they want a used one.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X