X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finds net but no manager

Hi
    This is probably an oddment but:

a) Saucy does, indeed, find both wired and wireless access to the net. Using a classic Atheros chip.

However,

b) I, personally, possibly too many rum 'n cokes cloud my vision, cannot find any kind of button or anything which allows of setting up the network.
    c) In "notifications" I see a new item, with a horizontal "slider" that offers device notifier, which slides through "all", and "network management". However, when one "clicks" on either of them nothing happens.
    d) I don't know the particular file path to the network manager, so can't try to put it manually into the menu.
    e) I have found several posts on the net that there is a bug about network manager not working or appearing, but no discussion thereof.

Again, it works....but.... no tweakage.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

When you click on the network icon in system tray, you do not see a wrench in the lower right corner? Clicking that brings up a clicable "Edit connections" button.
    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
    Always consider Occam's Razor
    Rich

Comment

there is no such icon in systray.

In "network" the "sub"part says "zero config".

I am quite sure that network manager is in the file system somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

plasma-widget-metworkmanager puts the icon in system tray. It is in the repos. You may want to check if it is hidden.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Rich

Comment

welll, normal dolphin flummery. I can use dolphin to find "networking" and I tried all of the items in there that would seem to be something that would activate network manager, but no go.

And upon going "up" I am just back at "/" and this with "hidden" files enabled.

So...I guess no biggie, it is probably a bug that will be fixed sooner or later, or it may be a planned thing, don't know.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi rich,
            thanks for the tip, I figured that I could do that but, and just did it, but it is not really very "elegant", something "should" have been there to begin with, and it still is not in settings. so...dunno...

hey thanks for the help!

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You are welcome.
              Agree, it should have been there to begin with. No it does not show in System Settings, it never has by design I think. It does work pretty well from the system tray icon however, that is configuring and discovering new networks.
              Rich

Comment

right, but, well, dunno.

Just my opinion, but think that a new user from Windblows would expect something to be there and also, what if it just didn't "just work"? I use pretty old stuff precisely so that it is almost always zero config. But that is just me, many Linux folks are into bleeding edge.

Also, it seems that I remember a great howling in the land of Linux that arose when a lot of configs were removed from the user choice in other distros.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, I always believed the first thing a Windows user needs to do when migrating to Linux is to forget everything about Windows. So I do not use that as a criteria for good design. Actually I think the solution of network manager is elegant. My opinion of course. As I recall the icon was installed by default upon first installation, in my case anyway. Then as I always do in Linux is just start clicking on everything to learn what is available. By the way network manager has worked in this fashion, with some design teaks in UI, through several releases of KDE. I have always used wireless so was always aware of how to configure from the icon.
                  Rich

Comment

okldokl Richb

I guess somebody can mark this thread solved or something!

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X