This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info box popup appears just before desktop

Following a package update, I now find that during startup, an info box appears about half a second before the desktop widgets appear, in the middle of the top edge of the screen, containing the text:

Wired connection 3
    Connection 'Wired connection 3' activated.

This remains on the screen until I click it. A minor annoyance, but I'd rather it wasn't there.

My install log shows that the last four packages that were updated are these:

2013-11-12 10:04:47 status installed libnetworkmanagerqt0:i386 0.9.0.1-0ubuntu1~saucy1
    2013-11-12 10:04:49 status installed plasma-nm:i386 0.9.3.1-0ubuntu1~saucy1
    2013-11-12 10:04:49 status installed plasma-widget-networkmanagement:all 0.9.3.1-0ubuntu1~saucy1
    2013-11-12 10:04:49 status installed libc-bin:i386 2.17-93ubuntu4

Any ideas about why this is happening?

edit: System info: Intel DQ77KB motherboard, Ivy Bridge i5 3470T using inbuilt "2500" GPU, Kubuntu 13.10 with normal updates.
    Last edited by davr1834; Nov 13, 2013, 01:47 AM.

Originally posted by davr1834 View Post
    Any ideas about why this is happening?
    Such messages are usually caused by a kde application (or widget) sending a notification message before the plasma notification widget is loaded and ready (the thing that normally shows notification messages).

If you want to get rid of the notification, you can try changing the notification settings of the plasma network management widget (however, this will affect all connection change notifications).

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      If you want to get rid of the notification, you can try changing the notification settings of the plasma network management widget (however, this will affect all connection change notifications).
      Found it. Thanks. My connection is fairly reliable, so I can do without the notifications.

edit: I wondered if this was a reportable bug. It probably is, but if other people aren't seeing it, it's probably some subtle timing issue because of stuff that I've installed or because of my particular configuration, and it'd be difficult to reproduce elsewhere.
      Last edited by davr1834; Nov 13, 2013, 03:28 AM.

Comment

Get the same on my wifi connection after the upgrade. Not a bug. I like the notification. Wifi connections are not always reliable and the pop up is a useful change. Also the icons on connectible sites was changed to be more visible as to signal strength. Good changes.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
          Get the same on my wifi connection after the upgrade. Not a bug. I like the notification. Wifi connections are not always reliable and the pop up is a useful change. Also the icons on connectible sites was changed to be more visible as to signal strength. Good changes.
          Having extra notifications might be a good change, but the issue here was that I was getting notifications that had adverse behaviour because (as explained by kubicle) they were appearing before the notification widget was available.

Comment

Having extra notifications might be a good change, but the issue here was that I was getting notifications that had adverse behaviour because (as explained by kubicle) they were appearing before the notification widget was available.
            I do not see the problem with that as long as the notification is correct. My panel is hidden so I do not see the widget, and do not need to with the notification visible. The widget is only showing your connections it is not making them. The executab;e /usr/sbin/NetwotkManager handles that. The widget is just a front end to that executable.
            Last edited by richb; Nov 13, 2013, 09:58 AM.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Rich

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that notifications from a hidden widget will time-out and not need to be cleared manually as happens with the notifications without the notification widget?

Comment

Am I correct in assuming that notifications from a hidden widget will time-out and not need to be cleared manually as happens with the notifications without the notification widget?
                Yes
                Rich

Comment

I too noticed the new notification and like it.
                  The new network applet is in my opinion somewhat lacking re. the feedback and info it supplies, this fills one gap.

Comment

All the same info is there as in the previous version. It is just accessed differently. Clicking on your connection will show a wrench in the upper right corner. Clicking that brings up detailed information about the connection and the amount of information is configurable. You can also edit the connection from that information screen.
                    I as well like the new notification. It is positive feedback that you have a connection, which is especially valuable for a wifi connection.
                    Rich

Comment

Like at the moment I'm in a hotel where all floors have their own WIFI access point but their SSID's are the same.
                      The old applet had a nicer way to display the various strengths so it was easier to select the best one.

Probably my biggest complaint is how narrow the applet is, the essential bits of longer SSID's are truncated.

At the moment it does not display the active connection, only previous connections and unknown connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        Probably my biggest complaint is how narrow the applet is, the essential bits of longer SSID's are truncated.
                        With it open, just click+drag one of the corners to size it.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is what mine looks like. The signal strength is shown by the number of bars. Visibility may depend on the style chosen. Of course in this case the SSID's are different.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by richb; Nov 17, 2013, 04:14 PM.
                          Rich

Comment

Thanks for the tip on grabbing a corner, I had only tried the slippery sides

Yes I know about the 4½ bars of the icon signifying signal strength, the old version had a graphical display option when adding an access point where they were shown in a radar style way.
                            This was quite handy when several points used the same SSID, now I have to go through the list (that does show a percentage).
                            Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak but I do miss a Refresh option for this list.

Comment

Working...
                            X