• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NM applet is less useful -- bug filed

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=326456

Here's what I wrote...
    Need scrollbar or expanding window

Without a scrollbar, there is no visual cue to indicate that it is necessary to scroll the contents to see all connections. It was rather by accident that I discovered this requirement when I otherwise couldn't find my VPN connection in the list anymore.

Preferably, though, please provide a configurable option that allows the window to expand to a size that would list all connections. I'm aware of bug 319198. I disagree with the reasoning. There is no particular requirement that all windows behave the same. It is far more useful for the NM-applet window to automatically resize itself to display everything in one glance than to require users to unnecessarily perform scrolling actions. This is a case where utility -- showing all information -- should be more important than consistency. No one is confused by an applet window that changes size. People are confused when they have to scroll and there's no indication that scrolling is necessary.
    Please add comments and/or vote if you agree.

In general, the rewriting of much of the Plasma bits in QML seems to be accompanied by a desire to "simplify" things. I hope this trend doesn't go too far.

------------

Edit: fixed the link in the URL to point to my bug number, not the other one
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Oct 22, 2013, 09:39 PM.

If I think I know what you are talking about, yep, GUI 'downsizing' is going too far, especially to new people, the uber geeks will know what simplified icons, etc are, but not new people to devices/OS's. Myself being a seasoned nerd, have had to stop and take a step back for a few seconds to determine what's what and what to do with it. I know that sounds generalized but it covers both smartphones and OS GUI's.

My response to missing scrollbar(s)...

Comment

But it's a widget, and widgets (well behaved/coded ones) can be 'expanded', and NM is such. Just move the mouse to the top (or bottom if your Panel is at the top of your screen) corners to get the < - > cursor. Click and drag. Simple.

But I didn't even do that. I noticed a partial entry at the bottom of the list, so I just used my mouse scroll wheel.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Just move the mouse to the top (or bottom if your Panel is at the top of your screen) corners to get the < - > cursor. Click and drag. Simple.
        You know, I have never really made use of widgets on my desktop, so this didn't even occur to me! When I placed the mouse cursor on any of the flat edges of the widget's window, the pointer didn't change to a resize indicator. To me, that's a clue that no resize capability is allowed at all. I suppose it's been standard that Plasma widgets have always been resizable only via the corners -- if so, that's new for me. I still think that's difficult to discover.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        But I didn't even do that. I noticed a partial entry at the bottom of the list, so I just used my mouse scroll wheel.
        Interesting clue. My initial widget shape was aligned such that no partial entry appeared.

Comment

I also just realized that I had the wrong URL in my clipboard when I copy/pasta'ed it into my initial post. I've edited it to point to the bug I filed.

Comment

Well, it's obvious then, that you've been spending way to much time at Milliways! Come back to reality dude! Stay away from the light!! DO NOT GO INTO THE LIGHT!!!!!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LOL. You're closer to the truth than you realize. I have had biz trips every week this month. I'm home now, and, blissfully, have no scheduled travel until December.

Comment

Agree. It's pretty, though

Feathers
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                  I hope this trend doesn't go too far.
                  That's two of us. I "support" several people. That's in quotes because like the Maytag repairman I rarely get calls. Only one person has called in the last year. He has been using Kubuntu 9.04 since the spring of 2009. He has four kids and it was the DVD cup holder routine ("Jerry, my DVD doesn't work any more.") because a little one thought that it was to hold his drink. When it jammed he forced it back into the bay by hand. Several are elderly. What they all have in common is that any kind of change completely confuses them. Only security updates are allowed, automatically in the background. Not hearing from them sometimes makes me wonder if they abandon Kubuntu and returned to Windows, so I ask when I meet them while shopping, or call them occasionally, and they report they are having no problems. Just to drive home the point of why they switched to Linux I usually add "Isn't it nice not to worry about viruses or pay for Norton?" "YES!" they reply.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                    You know, I have never really made use of widgets on my desktop, so this didn't even occur to me! When I placed the mouse cursor on any of the flat edges of the widget's window, the pointer didn't change to a resize indicator. To me, that's a clue that no resize capability is allowed at all. I suppose it's been standard that Plasma widgets have always been resizable only via the corners -- if so, that's new for me. I still think that's difficult to discover.

Interesting clue. My initial widget shape was aligned such that no partial entry appeared.
                    You have to move the mouse to the upper or lower corner not an edge. Works well for me, and use it all the time.
                    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                    Always consider Occam's Razor
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      He has four kids and it was the DVD cup holder routine ("Jerry, my DVD doesn't work any more.") because a little one thought that it was to hold his drink.
                      Well...this is awkward! You mean it's NOT a cup holder?
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Well, it can be. Depends on how badly you need it!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Lenovo may as well go all the way and make their optical drives dual purpose. Would be a very bold statement about how rugged they are! The Thinkpads already have spill resistant keyboards...

Feathers
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The old nm-applet was much better...

Comment

One vote for the new one. Maybe the only one.
                              Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                              Always consider Occam's Razor
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X