This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: Low-light web cam witih great Linux support

Some time back someone posted the link to a sight where you could look up how good a piece of hardware's Linux support is. Darn it, if I can't seem to remember the name of the site. I need it. My Lenovo laptop has a built-in web cam, but it's dreadful. I'm able to use my roommate's Logitech C510 web cam if I reboot into Windows. I cannot get the thing to work in Kubuntu, and Logitech's web page shows now drivers for it. That C510 way outperforms the Lenovo's web cam. With the Lenovo one, the picture is so dark I can barely be seen, but you can see me perfectly with the Logitech. However, I don't want to have to boot into Windows. When I'm conferencing with people, there's Linux software I want to run.

So the goal is to find a quality low-light web cam that has excellent Linux support and to use it and to uninstall the Lenovo's crappy web cam.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

See Linux UVC driver and tools
    Welcome to the USB Video Class Linux device driver home.The goal of this project is to provide all necessary software components to fully support UVC compliant devices in Linux. This include a V4L2 kernel device driver and patches for user-space tools.
    The USB Device Class Definition for Video Devices, or USB Video Class, defines video streaming functionality on the Universal Serial Bus. Much like nearly all mass storage devices (USB flash disks, external SATA disk enclosures, ...) can be managed by a single driver because they conform to the USB Mass Storage specification, UVC compliant peripherals only need a generic driver.
    The UVC specification covers webcams, digital camcorders, analog video converters, analog and digital television tuners, and still-image cameras that support video streaming for both video input and output.
    Due to the limited available man power and the broad scope of the UVC specification, the Linux UVC project will concentrate the development efforts on video input devices, especially webcams. Video output devices are supported in bulk mode only.
    Support requests are handled through the Linux UVC development mailing list. You need to subscribe to the list before posting. Don't forget to read the FAQ before sending an e-mail to the list.
    Mailing list archives are temporarily unavailable.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Odd. I think my web cam is a c510, I've had it for about 3 years, have had no problems with it.

I'll double check, as I'm away from the laptop, to verify the model I have. It works out of the box everywhere I've tried it.

My only caveat is that on my older laptop, which usb port I use effects things for some reason, in regards to the camera. I must have some funky ports.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

My webcam is definitely a c510

Code:
        lsusb
        Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
        Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0b97:7772 O2 Micro, Inc. OZ776 CCID Smartcard Reader
        Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b97:7761 O2 Micro, Inc. Oz776 1.1 Hub
        Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        [U][B]Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:081d Logitech, Inc. HD Webcam C510[/B][/U]
        Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
        Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:8103 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 350 Bluetooth
        Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
        Does the above highlighted line show if you run the lsusb command?
        What program are you trying to use the cam with?

kamoso or cheese are good for playing with webcams, see how/if they work, etc. Guvcview is another one. There are some other things to try if the camera is working in these programs, but not in something like skype or similar. One place to check is in System Settings' Multimedia section, and make sure that the logitech has a higher priority over the built-in webcam.

Comment

Just a wild hair...
          Perhaps editing a video.ko param might help:
          Code:
          :~$ modinfo video
          filename:       /lib/modules/3.13.0-5-generic/kernel/drivers/acpi/video.ko
          license:        GPL
          description:    ACPI Video Driver
          author:         Bruno Ducrot
          srcversion:     2D7ABF915B4787790413C00
          alias:          acpi*:LNXVIDEO:*
          depends:        
          intree:         Y
          vermagic:       3.13.0-5-generic SMP mod_unload modversions 
          signer:         Magrathea: Glacier signing key
          sig_key:        4C:DC:75:07:62:DB:E2:E2:55:9D:45:82:5A:D1:BE:55:53:16:73:A8
          sig_hashalgo:   sha512
          [B]parm:           brightness_switch_enabled:bool[/B]
          parm:           allow_duplicates:bool
          [B]parm:           use_native_backlight:bool
          [/B]
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have a Logitech Pro 9000. Works well in Kubuntu.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

A question might be why this webcam works ootb for many, but not for others. What are the variables? Is a particular software that isn't working, could the existing device be somehow conflicting with the new one?

In theory, UVC based webcams should Just Work. Quite a few Logitechs, if not most, are UVC, so that brand is a good choice.

Comment

Dude! Way to scary first thing in the morning!!
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My eyes! My eyes! Now I need
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I thought you hacked into my webcam!!!!!
                    Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                    Always consider Occam's Razor
                    Rich

Comment

Open-mouth kiss on a first date? Sorry, dude. Maybe on the second.

Comment

Hey, at least I left my tongue in check

Comment

And for that we're all grateful.

Back to Tom's request...why does one need a low-light web cam, hmmmmmmmmmm?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            And for that we're all grateful.

Back to Tom's request...why does one need a low-light web cam, hmmmmmmmmmm?
                            I don't think it's low light per se, I'm gonna guess (having the same cam) it's more of it working well with less light. It won't work well in minimal lighting, but does well without needing a bright source. My ugly scruffy mug in that video was lit by a single 20-something watt cfl bulb. Tom's built-in webcam must be terrible.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              My webcam is definitely a c510

Code:
                              lsusb
                              Bus 007 Device 003: ID 0b97:7772 O2 Micro, Inc. OZ776 CCID Smartcard Reader
                              Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0b97:7761 O2 Micro, Inc. Oz776 1.1 Hub
                              Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              [U][B]Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:081d Logitech, Inc. HD Webcam C510[/B][/U]
                              Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                              Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 003 Device 002: ID 413c:8103 Dell Computer Corp. Wireless 350 Bluetooth
                              Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Does the above highlighted line show if you run the lsusb command?
                              What program are you trying to use the cam with?

kamoso or cheese are good for playing with webcams, see how/if they work, etc. Guvcview is another one. There are some other things to try if the camera is working in these programs, but not in something like skype or similar. One place to check is in System Settings' Multimedia section, and make sure that the logitech has a higher priority over the built-in webcam.
                              The C510 does show up when I run that command:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 5986:0292 Acer, Inc
                              Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:081d Logitech, Inc. HD Webcam C510
                              Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching
                              I go into:
                              System Settings ==> Multimedia ==> Audio and Video Settings ==> Video Recording/Communication

I see two webcams listed, named /dev/video0 and /dev/video1. When I hover the mouse over /dev/video1, the tooltip identifies it as Lenovo EasyCamera. The tooltip over /dev/video0 identifies it as UVC Camera and then "046d:081d". I assume that's the C510 since it's the only other one. However, it doesn't matter which one I choose and then select apply. It's always the crappy Lenovo camera that works. I haven't actually used it in Skype/Linux yet. I've been testing it on testwebcam.com. I know it's the Lenovo web cam because I always show up really dark and if I put my thumb over the Lenovo web cam, I disappear. I looked for a way to just uninstall the Lenovo webcam. It's such a piece of junk I don't intend to ever use it.

My roommate informs me he can get the C510 to work on his Dell Kubuntu laptop. He can get the camera to work, but not its mike. For me that would be all I need since I don't intend to use the mike. I always use a headset. The biggest difference between his Dell and my Lenovo is his Dell has no built-in web cam while mine does.

When I boot to Windows the C510 works great. The Lenovo web cam offers no comparison. In a perfectly let room, the C510 looks great, but the Lenovo looks all underexposed.
                              Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                              ================================

Comment

Working...
                              X