This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMDI sound output will not set to default

HDMI is working on my laptop, including HDMI sound output. However, I have to go into Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video Settings > Audio Hardware Setup and manually change the Sound Card Profile to HDMI Output in order for the sound to work over HDMI. I then have to change it back when I unplug the HDMI cable in order for the laptop speakers to work.

In the device preferences, I have HDMI as the preferred playback device. It does not seem to have any effect on plugging or unplugging the HDMI cable.

I would like to plug in the HDMI cable and have both the video and sound playback through HDMI without having to change any settings (video works this way).

Also, is there a way I can edit the notification when the sound device is changed? It currently states "Device [x] not working, falling back to device [y]". I would prefer it state something a little more factual, like "Device [x] has been changed to Device [y]" as they both work.
    Registered Linux user #346571

if you find a solution to this I would love to hear it.................................

I can however lessen the amount of clicks for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,right click the speaker icon in the system tray and click "audio setup" and you will have the settings window
    I do this same dance when I switch from HDMI to analog .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

in system settings -> multimedia-.> audio and video settings -> device preference you should only need to set the HDMI as prefered for all the differnet groups you want out the hdmi.

the audio hardware set up is only to set up the output profile and connector for each device . for example if you want to have your default output jack be the optical you would select the sound card containing the optical and change the connector to OPTICAL. then when using the device it would output sound to the optical instead of the 3.5mm jack . you may want to check this area and be sure your HDMI device has the HDMI connector as it output and the profile is set to HDMI as well.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Vinny, Thanks for the shortcut.

SithLord, Setting device preference does not seem to have an effect, although I believe it should. I have to manually change the default profile in the audio hardware section in order to change from Laptop to HDMI output.
        Last edited by jeremy1701; Dec 27, 2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

i have many machines using HDMI for sound output all of them i have done as described above.
          i will post a Screen shot when i get a chance to show you my settings.

Comment

Veromix plasma widget might be what you need. You can change output from the widget and it usually remembers what output you have selected. Worth a try at least.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              Veromix plasma widget might be what you need. You can change output from the widget and it usually remembers what output you have selected. Worth a try at least.
              Vermomix seems very promising. At least a much shorter route to changing the output. Testing it out now.

Comment

this is what my settings look like. it is the same for each catagory.

the old "built-in-analog" was from before i switch my onboard to the digial profile using the optical connector for output.
                Last edited by sithlord48; Dec 30, 2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X