This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.1 speakers

I have 2.1 Creative speakers. I am not sure how to get the subwoofer working. In Phonon "Audio Hardware Setup" tab I don't have 2.1 profile option. There is the "Analog Surround 5.1 Output" profile as well as many that don't use the subwoofer. With the 5.1 setting both of the speakers work, but not the subwoofer.

Kubuntu 13.10
    Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

I recommend bypassing any GUI settings for this and instead going straight to the source in a way. That way being editing your pulse audio config to properly set things up.

First step is to make a copy of your old config just incase you mess something up.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/pulse/daemon.conf /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.old
    Next nano into the config
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
    Make you config look like this (remember to remove the ";" before each of these line):
    Code:
    default-sample-channels = 3
    default-channel-map = front-left,front-right
    You'll need to either reboot(logout might work) or restart pulseaudio for the changes to take effect.

The other option is enabling lfe remixing in the pulse config just look for:
    Code:
    enable-lfe-remixing=no
    and change that to a yes

Comment

OK. What should that have done? I do notice that the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab no longer appears in Phonon. Is that expected?

Also PAVUcontrol will no longer run, saying that PulseAudio isn't running. Also expected?
      Last edited by djpemberton; Dec 22, 2013, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by djpemberton View Post
        OK. What should that have done? I do notice that the "Audio Hardware Setup" tab no longer appears in Phonon. Is that expected?

Also PAVUcontrol will no longer run, saying that PulseAudio isn't running. Also expected?
        It shouldn't effect anything else. For me I still have GUI info on my audio hardware under Kmix (through right clicking the icon in the default task bar and selecting "Audio Setup").

As for PAVU not working and PulseAudio not running that shouldn't have happened but not completely unexpected. Sometimes pulse will fail after a config change. You can manually try to reload it if you want but I personally and intentionally leave it disabled as that leaves you with ALSA(aka your audio card/onboard audio) actually handling audio and it should be far better overall. Plus, you still get some of the benefits of pulse (AKA better device handling so multiple streams work without locking up a card). It makes no sense but that's what I've noticed.

This is what you need to do:
        If you want to try to force it to run you can enter this in terminal:
        Code:
        pulseaudio --start
        You may need sudo for that but I don't think it's required. If that doesn't work then there may be some other factors involved.

EDIT: Before you do that you should run pulse's config check and see if it puts out an error:
        Code:
        pulseaudio --check
        UPDATE:Hmm...after some checking I feel like an idiot...but I have run into your low bass issue if pulse is running. As soon as I kill pulse I have full bass working. I'll have to double check on this issue.

UPDATE2: You should have an error about the channels not matching when you do the check. This is simply fixed by adding subwoofer to the channel map. However, it will still be underpowered compared to running without pulse. So the choice is whether you want pulse or not. Here's how the channel setup should look.

Code:
        default-sample-channels = 3
        default-channel-map = front-left,front-right,subwoofer
        That will give you a working 2.1 but it will still have a weaker subwoofer than using ALSA. Sorry about the bad direction...I had apparently mixed up my good config with a bad one and started explaining based on the bad one. I feel stupid now.
        Last edited by Rookie1337; Dec 22, 2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

LOL. So, which directions should I follow? Should I just change the channel map, or should I do the other stuff as well?

Comment

Originally posted by djpemberton View Post
            LOL. So, which directions should I follow? Should I just change the channel map, or should I do the other stuff as well?
            Honestly, I'd stick with pulseaudio...so you can try out something like this:
            http://www.overclock.net/a/how-to-ge...ure-pulseaudio

If all you want to mess with is just getting the subwoofer working then skip to the section #5.

Just remember to kill pulse first, edit the config, check the config, and then start pulse.
            So; pulseaudio --kill, nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf, pulseaudio --check, pulseaudio --start

Comment

Working...
            X