Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with restoring Kubuntu 13.10. HELP!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with restoring Kubuntu 13.10. HELP!!!!!!

Hello,

Here is my situation. I am currently running Kubuntu 13.10, dual boot with Window 7 on my laptop. I just get a new laptop with a much better spec and the same amount of storage. I want to move my current Kubuntu and Window 7 system to this new laptop. Here is what I did:

- I used deja-dupe backup to back up my current Kubuntu 13.10
    - Then I transferred my backup to external drive
    - I used Kubuntu 13.10 USB Live Environment on the new laptop to install deja-dupe and recover the backup to the new laptop.
    - The recovery process was successful.
    - I then used GRUB-repair to repair GRUB boot.
    - After repair, I was able to boot into Kubuntu 13.10 on my new laptop but I got a black screen after Kubuntu loading screen.

So, basically what I did is the same as using dd or cp to copy entire partition from one hard drive to another. I just used deja-dupe because you don't have to take the hard drive out of the laptop. I fully expected errors to happen (due to different drivers between laptop); but the problem is I am not sure how to diagnose these errors. I was able to boot into recovery mode on the new laptop and load up shell prompt. I suspect the video driver did not load up correctly. I need some help or tip on what command I should used to diagnose and potentially repair my Kubuntu recovery.

Worst case scenario, I can just wipe the recovery and install a new Kubuntu 13.10 on top but I just want to try and see what I can do to solve this problem first. Thank you for your help.

What video does the new machine have?. Try adding nomodeset to the linux stanza to see if you can at least boot to a desktop.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Hello,

After adding nomodeset to grub while boot up, same thing happens. It boots to the Kubuntu logo, then black screen again. I can still boot to text based environment but I am not sure what to do to change graphic driver. Do you have any other clues?

Comment

Let's see if you can actually get to the Desktop from the command line log in. From the prompt, type:
        Code:
        startx
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Let's see if you can actually get to the Desktop from the command line log in. From the prompt, type:
          Code:
          startx
          I boot into recovery. Drop to root shell prompt. Input startx, and this is the error screen:

https://app.box.com/s/p6sv27s1bdm0lvwe33io

Comment

That isn't a command line log in.

When you boot your PC, are you presented with the Grub Menu? If 'yes', when you select the menu entry, do you ever get to the KDM/LightDM log in screen?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, I never get to the KDM/Light LDM log in screen. Here is what happen:

Ok, so when i boot up. It goes to the GRUB menu. There are different options such as Kubuntu, Advanced option for Kubuntu, Memory Test, Window 7.... So I go to Advanced option, select Kubuntu with Linux 3.11.0-13 (recovery mode). Then the recovery menu comes up; I select root (drop to root shell prompt). I enter the root password, and it gives me a command line. Then I type "startx", and that is the error that I received.

Comment

I thought that deja-dupe (which uses duplicity as it's backup method, iirc) backs up (ie copies) directories, which is not the same thing as using dd, which is bit-for-bit image of the physical bits on a drive. I do not believe that simply restoring the files in an install will just boot up on a new drive. It might be worth while to try restoring/reinstalling grub from a live session ,

One thing that comes to mind when transferring an install from one machine to another is the uuid's of the new disk partitions, which will be different, and if the old /etc/fstab is used, the drive data is not going to match up.

It would be easier to do a fresh install and then use deja-dupe to restore the settings and files you need (your home dir, and possibly some parts of /etc).

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  I thought that deja-dupe (which uses duplicity as it's backup method, iirc) backs up (ie copies) directories, which is not the same thing as using dd, which is bit-for-bit image of the physical bits on a drive. I do not believe that simply restoring the files in an install will just boot up on a new drive. It might be worth while to try restoring/reinstalling grub from a live session ,

One thing that comes to mind when transferring an install from one machine to another is the uuid's of the new disk partitions, which will be different, and if the old /etc/fstab is used, the drive data is not going to match up.

It would be easier to do a fresh install and then use deja-dupe to restore the settings and files you need (your home dir, and possibly some parts of /etc).
                  After I restore using deja-dupe, I did use GRUB-repair to repair Grub. Otherwise, the computer would not recognize the Kubuntu partition. I am able to boot up and log in with text menu commands. But I can't boot up and login to a desktop environment. I think the problem is with the graphic driver but I don't know how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by visixis View Post
                    No, I never get to the KDM/Light LDM log in screen. Here is what happen:

Ok, so when i boot up. It goes to the GRUB menu. There are different options such as Kubuntu, Advanced option for Kubuntu, Memory Test, Window 7.... So I go to Advanced option, select Kubuntu with Linux 3.11.0-13 (recovery mode). Then the recovery menu comes up; I select root (drop to root shell prompt). I enter the root password, and it gives me a command line. Then I type "startx", and that is the error that I received.
                    Nevermind, at the recovery menu, I selected the resume option. Login using text command, type startx and then a black screen show up.

Comment

try hitting ctrl-alt-f1 to see if there are any errors shown in the terminal

Comment

Hello,

I have successfully restored all my packages and settings. After all the hassle of trying to fix the video driver, I decide to install a new Kubuntu and restore everything to the new computer. Here is what I did

1/ Install Backup in Ubuntu or type "sudo apt-get install deja-dup" in terminal.
                        2/ Use the program to backup everything in your Home folder
                        3/ Go to terminal, type in these commands:
                        sudo dpkg --get-selections > Package.list
                        sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list sources.list
                        sudo apt-key exportall > Repo.keys4/ Go to "etc/apt/". Copy the folder "sources.list.d" to the new computer. Place it in "etc/apt/" in the new computer
                        5/ Transfer all the files to the new computer (the backup files of Home folder, and the 3 files created by the commands above)
                        6/ IMPORTANT: the new user account on the new computer must be the same name as the old computer
                        7/ Install Backup and restore everything to your Home folder.
                        7/ In the new computer, open terminal and type this in:

sudo apt-key add Repo.keys
                        sudo cp sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list
                        sudo apt-get update
                        sudo apt-get install dselect
                        sudo dselect update
                        sudo dpkg --set-selections < Package.list && sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

8/ It will take a while to download and install everything. After it is done, restart the computer.

The steps above restore 99% of everything to the new computer. A few programs require additional downloading and installation such as Dropbox, Steam, Wine....

I hope this little guide help other users who want to restore all packages and settings to a new computer.

Comment

Working...
                        X