This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Cannot See my Blu Ray Drive [DH-4O3S-04-B Sata Blu-ray Lite-On]

I have purchased a DH-4O3S-04-B Sata Blu-ray Lite-On BD-ROM Optical Drive and installed into my Kubuntu Desktop.

I have checked the BIOS and the computer does recognise the drive - however I cannot see it in Kubuntu.
    I have tried inserting CD's and DVD's into the drive but nothing happens.
    When I load the "disks" utility it is not displayed on the left hand column.

Can someone help?
    CPU: 2 x AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 5000+ | MEMORY: 4 GB RAM | GRAPHICS: ATI RV610 [RADEON HD 2400 PRO]

Can you boot a live OS Disk from the drive?

Have you checked; System Settings > Hardware > Device Actions and see if; "Storage Volume, Optical Disc", is listed?

And what version Kubuntu are you running?
    Last edited by zeeone; Nov 10, 2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Thanks for the reply...

I have checked and "Storage Medium, Optical Disc" is listed but it refers to my DVD writer which is also installed.
      I was able to boot from a live CD using the BD-ROM but I received an error saying "Unable to Detect a Live File System"

My Drives are all SATA and show up in the system BioS.

I am running Kubuntu 13.10

I Really appreciate any help you can give. This is the 3rd time I've switched from windows to Linux and I really do want to stick to it. I've got everything working now with the exception of my AMD Graphics drivers (which I am close to solving with the help of the web) and the Bluray.
      CPU: 2 x AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 5000+ | MEMORY: 4 GB RAM | GRAPHICS: ATI RV610 [RADEON HD 2400 PRO]

Comment

Not sure this helps, but I think it's likely a BIOS or set-up issue. According to the LiteOn website, the only current internal SATA Blu Ray drive supports Linux. Assuming that what you purchased is an OEM version of the same drive, I would think it should work out of the box.

As for your ATI issue, you can install the ATI proprietary driver for your system by installing the "fglrx" package, assuming your card is relatively new (as in last 4-5 years or so).
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Hi,

I have done some tests. The Blue ray works fine under Windows - which confirms that this is not a set-up or BIOS Problem.

I have been doing some digging and there are lots of people with this problem (Mostly with LiteON Drives and some LG.)

It seems to be a problem with the Linux Kernel since 2007. And some forums have suggested a Kernel Patch. Can anyone here confirm this or has anyone else come across this problem. This problem was also filed as a bug report on the Ubuntu website, but was never followed up.

Is there anyone who can help with this?

Comment

I'm going to submit this question on the Ubuntu Forum and will report back any findings here.

Comment

Thanks - be sure to let us know!
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X