X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Duo touchscreen not working on plasma, works everywhere else

Hello all,
    I just got a dell duo to play with, and the first thing i did was remove the broken windows install and install kubuntu.
    The install went smoothly, even the touchscreen worked in the installation, but when I got to the desktop, I ran into the following problem:
    Plasma elements do not respond to touch. The touchscreen works well on all other applications but in everything plasma the cursor moves to the proper location, but it doesn't "click". If I change the report mode in the eGalax touch drivers to left click on touch, it works fine but this obviously breaks grab and drag gestures, which makes things like scrolling impossible in tablet mode!
    I have done anything I could think of: Uninstalling eGalax drivers and going back do evdev, same problem, lost right click. Messing around with egalax config ini file: changed every setting that could be related, still same problem.
    Does any one of you have an idea what could be happening? It must be something about how Plasma handles clicks, somehow being less "sensitive" than others.

I tried installing ubuntu desktop and in unity everything works fine, except one little thing: the menu button in google chrome. It turns black like in mouseover but doesn't register a click. Maybe this is a clue to the underlying problem

BTW the touchpad works perfectly, im able to click everything so it is something touchscreen related

Thanks,

EDIT: I will try debian with KDE, see how that goes.
    EDIT2: Everything works perfectly on Debian, so il'l go with that! Good excuse to test a new distro!
    I'll leave this post to maybe help others that that also run into a similar problem.

Originally posted by Volta500 View Post
    EDIT: I will try debian with KDE, see how that goes.
    EDIT2: Everything works perfectly on Debian, so il'l go with that! Good excuse to test a new distro!
    I'm actually rather surprised at this, because non-touch Plasma (from what I understand) cannot differentiate between click-to-select and point-to-drag. Would you mind describing in more detail what you're seeing with your KDE on Debian setup?

Also -- I'm curious to know more about your setup. Please show the outputs of:
    Code:
    lsb_release -a

uname -a

kded4 --version

sudo lshw -short

xinput --list

Comment

In Debian Wheezy, im seeing what i would expect: if i tap on an item on a panel (like the kickoff launcher, an application in task switcher or an icon in system tray), it opens it just as if you would have clicked it with a regular mouse. The same goes for plasma widgets: touching in them is same as clicking, starting to drag anywhere moves it. It can be a tad annoying as you do not have hover or right click (not plasma related, tap-and-hold sends left click before right click, causing you to open something and then right click. Still have to look into that) but it works ok.
      I tried Plasma Active but had no luck getting it to work. The cd install goes ok untill first boot, instead of showing the desktop, severe graphical issues with plasma occur. Plus that there is afaik no 64 bit version wich is a bit of a waste. In the kubuntu active package installed from kubuntu, i get no cursor with the trackpad and the touchscreen is non-operational. Could be just a driver install but that would be quite hard without a mouse. That combined that this is a netbook-tablet convertible so a touch optimized ui may be quite annoying to use with keyboard-mouse-touchscreen combo.

Code:
      pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ lsb_release -a
      No LSB modules are available.
      Distributor ID: Debian
      Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 7.2 (wheezy)
      Release:        7.2
      Codename:       wheezy

pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ uname -a
      Linux pelle-inspiron-duo 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.51-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux

pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ kded4 --version
      Qt: 4.8.2
      KDE Development Platform: 4.8.4 (4.8.4)
      KDE Daemon: $Id$

pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ man lshw
      pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ sudo lshw -short
      [sudo] password for pelle: 
      H/W path               Device     Class       Description
      =========================================================
                                        system      Inspiron 1090 (xxx123x#ABA)
      /0                                bus         Inspiron 1090
      /0/0                              memory      1MiB BIOS
      /0/23                             memory      2GiB System Memory
      /0/23/0                           memory      2GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 667 MHz (1.5 ns)
      /0/da01                           processor   Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N570   @ 1.66GHz
      /0/da01/da02                      memory      1MiB L2 cache
      /0/da01/da03                      memory      32KiB L1 cache
      /0/100                            bridge      Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx DMI Bridge
      /0/100/2                          display     Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
      /0/100/2.1                        display     Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx Integrated Graphics Controller
      /0/100/1b                         multimedia  NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
      /0/100/1c                         bridge      NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 1
      /0/100/1c/0                       multimedia  BCM70015 Video Decoder [Crystal HD]
      /0/100/1c.1                       bridge      NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 2
      /0/100/1c.1/0          wlan0      network     AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
      /0/100/1c.2                       bridge      NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 3
      /0/100/1c.3                       bridge      NM10/ICH7 Family PCI Express Port 4
      /0/100/1d                         bus         NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1
      /0/100/1d.1                       bus         NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2
      /0/100/1d.2                       bus         NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3
      /0/100/1d.3                       bus         NM10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4
      /0/100/1d.7                       bus         NM10/ICH7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
      /0/100/1e                         bridge      82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
      /0/100/1f                         bridge      NM10 Family LPC Controller
      /0/100/1f.2            scsi0      storage     NM10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0      /dev/sda   disk        60GB KINGSTON SV300S3
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/1    /dev/sda1  volume      53GiB EXT4 volume
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2    /dev/sda2  volume      2365MiB Extended partition
      /0/100/1f.2/0.0.0/2/5  /dev/sda5  volume      2365MiB Linux swap / Solaris partition
      /0/100/1f.3                       bus         NM10/ICH7 Family SMBus Controller
      /1                                power       DELL D555173

pelle@pelle-inspiron-duo:~$ xinput --list
      ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
      ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎜   ↳ eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Multi      id=15   [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎜   ↳ eGalaxTouch Virtual Device for Single     id=16   [slave  pointer  (2)]
      ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
          ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Sleep Button                              id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Integrated Webcam                         id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=11   [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ ACPI Virtual Keyboard Device              id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
          ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                          id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
      It is interesting that it lists a sleep button as there isn't one

Comment

Working...
      X