This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade using official upgrade app results in kernel panic HELP

I've just rebooted my laptop after performing the upgrade and now cannot boot.

I'm getting kernel panic. [ 1.818116 kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

Reboot into recovery and I get

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(0,0):error-6
    please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions
    Kernel panic not syncing: VFS: unable to mount..... etc.

Where too from here. Thought this would be safe as its an "official" release now..

Ta in hope.

Peter.

I tried following the process in a blog post at https://www.petercarrero.com/content...oot-fs-problem in which the process is

Code:
    boot using CD (as I am now) then
    sudo su -
    mkdir /mnt/root
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/root
    chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
    mount -t proc /proc /proc
    update-initramfs -u
    This produced

Code:
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-31-generic
    cp: cannot stat ‘/etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf’: No such file or directory
    E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth failed with return 1.
    update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-31-generic with 1.
    I noticed that the install of initramfs-tools failed during the update, so I tried

Code:
    sudo apt-get install initramfs-tools
    sudo: unable to resolve host kubuntu
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    initramfs-tools is already the newest version.

Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    The link /initrd.img is a dangling linkto /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
    Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.11.0-12-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic
    run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 3.11.0-12-generic /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic
    Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
    File:  does not exist.
    ERROR (dkms apport): binary package for psmouse: alps-dst-0.1 not found
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/alps-dst-0.1/build/make.log for more information.
    Don't know if any of this helps, but it looks like a re-install to me.

P.

Comment

1. You might try booting with a Super Grub Disk:
      http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/
      If you succeed in booting your system, you will need to do a sudo update-grub , and that should fix it.

2. When your boot menu comes up, highlight the item for your system, and press the e key. This will take you to the script that boots your system. It should look something like this:
      ----------
      load_video
      gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
      insmod gzio
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='hd0,msdos2'
      if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos2 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos2 e717c17e-fc5f-4887-a015-49e0833a6658
      else
      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root e717c17e-fc5f-4887-a015-49e0833a6658
      fi
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-12-generic root=UUID=e717c17e-fc5f-4887-a015-49e0833a6658 ro nosplash
      initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.11.0-12-generic
      ----------
      The actual menu you see will be a bit messier than this, but what you are looking for is the lines that begin with linux and initrd. This is where the system is likely having the problem. Please copy (you will have to do this by hand/paper) what those lines look like and post them here.

3. As an experiment, in the linux line you could change the
      root=whatever-follows-this to
      root=/dev/sda1
      and try booting by hitting CRTL-X. Might not work, but worth a try while you're there.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X