This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No USB keyboard available for early cryptodisks

After upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 Beta 2 I found that my USB Keyboard (Logitech G510) goes inert after Grub finishes. Since that is when I need to enter the password for my encrypted HD it basically renders the system unusable (I had to plug in an old PS/2 keyboard to circumvent the Problem).

I tried to get it to work by adding:

hid
    usbhid
    usbcore
    uhci_hcd
    ehci_hcd

to the initramfs modules but that didn't help.

While I didn't test it I suppose there would be no keyboard available also, if for some reason one gets dropped to the initram shell.

I plug my KB in to the first port (port 0), do you still have 'Legacy Keyboard Support' enabled in the BIOS, is your system UEFI? Is your USB 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0? If you have another live distro disk laying around, give it a spin and see if your keyboard works. Or could it be the USB/KB driver is encrypted and it doesn't get loaded? Is the boot partition encrypted?

Comment

No, the USB ports turn off on mine too, on bootup. Halfway thru disk-checks, they come back on again. I really haven't thought anything of it, other than "that's odd..". But it works, nothing is complaining and my system can live with it. But I can see where having encrypted disks would throw a wrench into the issue.Cederien, have you gone to Launchpad and filed a bug-report?
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

@tek_heretic: It's USB2, the Port does not matter, alls USB ports seem to go dead after Grub finished and come back sometime during the bootup (but only after the point where one needs to enter the PW for encrypted disks). The BIOS does not have a legacy keyboard option. Boot is of course not encrypted. Live Distros would not help, as the keyboard works fine once booted up, it's just that it comes back to late in the boot process.

@Buddlespit: No I didn't report the error, yet. I considered it but wasn't sure the Ubuntu Launchpad is the right place, couldn't find a specific Kubunutu one though. So I came here first.

Comment

Working...
        X