This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since tonights updates signifficant WIFI, Bluetooth and mouse problems

As I already reported in the network-nm thread below since tonight's updates I have WIFI, Bluetooth and mouse problems

Last night I did the daily update and switched the laptop off.
    I just switched it op again and the network applet was missing but I still had a wireless connection to the hotels' WIFI.
    Muon offered 47 more updates and I went for all of them, this included an update of the network plasma.
    Muon reported a problem with kipi but the other updates were apparently successful.

Because the network applet was still missing I rebooted and this results after login in a locked mouse and the error there's a setuid issue with the bluetooth stack.
    I can't get the mouse or touch pad to work but opened a terminal and tried an other update which failed because the wireless connection is now down.

Not having a wired option it's rather problematic to investigate further though I will try to get WIFI up from the terminal, first I'll copy the instructions to my Nexus.
    This was written via the also present install of 13.04, right now I'm not going to attempting updating it
    Connecting WIFI via the terminal failed miserably, there is no wlan found to configure so I assume this'll have to wait till I'm tomorrow night home again.

My System Tray network management icon also disappeared on my 13.10 laptop. But I checked Muon Package Manager and found that all the required components were installed. So I right-clicked on the System Tray area and selected System Tray Settings > Display and found that Network Management was unchecked. It had previously been checked. Checking it put the icon back in the System Tray.

Right-clicking on the System Tray Network Manager icon and choosing Network Management Settings clearly shows just how different it is now!! There is a box, checked by default, that says 'Automatically hide settings toolbar'. I unchecked it.

Also, the wireless connection I had previously set, is gone. You have to set it up again, which I did. I'm connected to my wireless connection.

So, the entire layout, display, and configuration options are WAY different, but they are all there. You just need to explore the 'new' Network Management widget.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A little update,
      As reported my mouse has also quit and ifconfig only reports eth0 and lo as network devices.
      The mouse is already at the login prompt 'stuck'.

After login I get this message (Partially from Dutch):
      ===========================
      Problem with network settings.

org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.PermissionInvalid :
      The permission of the setuid helper is not correct

This machine might not be able to connect to the Bluetooth network.
      ===========================
      Apparently it also disabled wlan...

Now I'll try to boot to a terminal and see if the wlan is still up at that stage, although there's nothing mouse related in the xorg.conf file.

Comment

Solved!
        I booted up in the recovery mode and ran first the fsck to check the file system followed by the dpkg routine to fix broken packages.
        There appeared to have been several packages needing fixing, for me a very unusual experience...

Oh yes, the network applet is also back
        Last edited by Teunis; Oct 11, 2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X