This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma-nm and network-manager issue

I've removed wicd and reinstalled plasma-nm and network-manager. The applet is back.
    However, the network-manager is not working properly. I use an usb wireless adapter to extend the range of wireless connection. But now, if I'm connected via eth1, wlan1 keeps trying to connect and vice-versa. Should I open a new thread?

Click image for larger version

Name:	network-manager issue 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	648032
    Last edited by geoaraujo; Oct 12, 2013, 09:35 AM.

I think it is a good idea to open a separate thread since this is another issue. I might have a related problem.

Comment

I'm grateful to the administrator that created this topic in my name, but could you please change the title? This is not an wicd problem. I'm using plasma-nm and this is a network-manager problem.

Comment

I am sure you already thought about that, but did you uncheck the "Connect automatically..." option of the wlan1 connection?

And if it is not that, as a workaround, maybe try to uncheck "Wireless networks activated"?

Comment

Last night I did the daily update and switched the laptop off.
          I just switched it op again and the network applet was missing but I still had a wireless connection to the hotels' WIFI.
          Muon offered 47 more updates and I went for all of them, this included an update of the network plasma.
          Muon reported a problem with kipi but the other updates were apparently successful.

Because the network applet was still missing I rebooted and this results after login in a locked mouse and the error there's a setuid issue with the bluetooth stack.
          I can't get the mouse or touch pad to work but opened a terminal and tried an other update which failed because the wireless connection is now down.

Not having a wired option it's rather problematic to investigate further though I will try to get WIFI up from the terminal, first I'll copy the instructions to my Nexus.
          This was written via the also present install of 13.04, right now I'm not going to attempting updating it

Comment

Originally posted by dode View Post
            I am sure you already thought about that, but did you uncheck the "Connect automatically..." option of the wlan1 connection?

And if it is not that, as a workaround, maybe try to uncheck "Wireless networks activated"?
            Connect auomatically was not checked.
            But I didn't understand the "workaround". Why should I disable wireless networks?

Comment

Since your wireless USB adapter is effectively wired (eth0), wireless could be disabled while your USB connection would still work but I suppose NM would not attempt to establish the wlan connection.
              Or I'm just wrong :-/

Comment

What? USB adapter is wlan1 and built-in wireless card is eth1.
                eth0 is the wired interface, but I don't have a wired connection right now.

Comment

Alright, I misunderstood your first post. Sorry for that. But strange that your built-in wireless is eth1, I would expect it to be wlan0, as it is the case with my laptop.

Comment

I just got back to a working system by booting in the recovery mode and doing the fsck and dpkg routines.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      I just got back to a working system by booting in the recovery mode and doing the fsck and dpkg routines.
                      Could you please be more specific? What did you do in the recovery mode?

Comment

The recovery mode has a short menu and I selected first the fsck (File System Check) and once that finished the dpkg routine that will fix any broken packages.
                        Both can be done in other ways but work best when either root (dpkg) or before the disk is mounted (fsck) and that's what you get via the recovery mode.
                        http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wALUnoYg8m...overy_menu.png

Google and YouTube can inform you about the details of the processes.

The recovery mode can be selected from the grub boot menu.
                        http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6scBS6B6cw...ordlucid01.png

One important factor this worked for me was that the various packages were still present in the temp /var/cache/apt/archives directory.

Comment

But did that fix this issue with network-manager? It does not appear to be a question of broken packages...

Comment

It did for me.
                            But at that point I had more problems than 'just' the network manager.

Do you still have a WIFI connection or do you have to use a wired solution?

If no WIFI connection what is the output of
                            Code:
                            ifconfig?
                            Does this still show a wlan?
                            Because in my case that was also missing.

If you still have a wlan you could manually connect the WIFI.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.
                              ifconfig does show wlan.
                              But I'm not sure you have understood the issue. It consists in eth1 trying to connect to the same network as wlan1 and vice-versa. This didn't happen before upgrading to 13.10 and installing plasm-nm and the new network-manager.

Edit: Solved by deleting the networks entries and starting again.
                              Last edited by geoaraujo; Oct 23, 2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X