This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network drive mounting after upgrade

Any one else having issues loading network (cifs) drives on boot?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/upstart/+bug/1235013

Before I wipe my system and install 13.10 cleanly, I want to see if others are having issues or if others may have found a fix, 'cause I sure haven't...
    I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

what are the permissions on /mnt/Shares ,,,,,,,,,should be owner=root group=you with group having read write permission .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It is currently me:me 0777 just to see if that was the issue. I haven't bothered to put it back yet. But mount still has to called by sudo to work. My wife on 13.04 has it automount on boot somewhere. We have the same exact lines in fstab for the cifs mounts. I believe it's an Upstart issue with mountall-network, but I have no idea how to trace it down.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

13.04 was very picky about permissions and credentials, and I had the opposite issue, sudo could not access shares, but user could. Eventually, I read a tip to skip mounting on boot, ignore failures, add user credentials, and make sure your credentials match in the kde SystemSettings "Sharing" config. Ensure the directory permissions are set as stated before in the thread (owner:root, group-you).

If I recall correctly, 777 on my server's shares was rejected for being to lenient, and I couldn't get it working until it was back at 755 and owned by root. (in 13.04 that is)

13.10 still had trouble mounting my share at boot, but was more lenient on permission and didn't reject 777. I used the same fstab entry in both versions, then you can just click the network shares icon in dolphin's "places" menu to mount and unmount.

//192.168.1.210/Data.Array /network.mounts cifs _netdev,user,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,credentials=/home/jones/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,nofail,sec=ntlm 0 0

I also wrote a couple of 3 line scripts to mount and unmount the same shares for other programs like luckybacky and clam; as well as for logoff/shutdown to overcome the networkmanager hang some users are having.

A really easy way around all this is to install smb4k and set it to mount and unmount your shares automatically on smbk4 start ad exit; then add smbk to your startup programs. If it still doesn't work, you can opt to save your session so that you can reload everything that was running, including smbk4, and thus, mounted shares... I didn't have to go that far, though, although it did test its abilities

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it bailed me out of a similar jam, good luck!

Comment

I have a gent debugging this. I'm going to stay on this until we either get it fixed or he throws his hands up in frustration.

Comment

Yes, I see the same issue. My wife and I system were both on Kubuntu 13.04 and had 2 NFS shares mount in fstab. 2 for each PC, 1 common between the 2 and 1 unique for each. Has been working fine for months. I upgraded my PC to 13.10 and the NFS shares do not automount. I've not really had time to look into it. sudo mount -a works until I reboot.
            https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

I went and downgraded mountall to the raring release and locked it in. I'm automounting again. clickwir, you should add to the bug report. It's not really a bug until more people complain about it

Comment

OK, the maintainer of mountall fixed something in mountall-net after he was able to replicate my issues. Mountall has been fixed in v2.52.

Comment

Working...
                X