This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radeon driver broken??

On my box there is an on board AMD Radeon 3100 graphics card. After installing saucy I immediately saw, that graphics is much smoother and faster than it was before. I could even activate Blur effect. Earlier, when activating this one, graphics performance degraded heavily. But on saucy, it didn't do any harm.
    On Monday 30-Sep, I did an upgrade, in which a new kernel was included. update-initramfs complained about 'possibly missing hardware ..'. After reboot, graphics performance was worse than ever.
    I found a bug, attached to that, and today I got the message, that it has been fixed and missing firmware is included in linux-firmware 1-115. I did an upgrade, firmware went to 1.115, update-initramfs did not complain. After reboot, graphics performance was slightly better than before. I tried to config desktop effects and saw. that it is not possible to select OPENGL compositing type and RASTER backend. When applying these, it says 6 desktop effects could not be loaded which were among others: Blur and desktop cube animation
    When rebooting the system, compositing type automatically sets to XRENDER, backend sets to NATIVE.
    Now I am not sure, what is going on. Maybe the radeon driver is broken, maybe the X server needs to be reconfigured. Can anyone tell me where to start looking to find where the problem lies?

regards
    Hans-Peter

Could you add the link to the bug report ?

Older link - Thread: no desktop effects: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...esktop-effects

The Kwin has seen lot of changes so the thread is only giving hints what to look.

Picking:

Is the direct rendering yes ?
    If you restart the kwin from the konsole - do you get a useful error message ?
    If you edit the kwinrc and then restart the kwin - what error do you get ?

At here:
    :~$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
    direct rendering: Yes
    rog132@saucybeta:~$ kwin --replace
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
    QCoreApplication::sendPostedEvents: Cannot send posted events for objects in another thread
    kwin(2373)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate:penDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-rog132/ksycoca4"
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD BARTS
    OpenGL version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 9.2.0
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
    Driver: R600G
    GPU class: NI
    OpenGL version: 3.1
    GLSL version: 1.40
    Mesa version: 9.2
    X server version: 1.14.2
    Linux kernel version: 3.11
    Direct rendering: yes
    Requires strict binding: no
    GLSL shaders: yes
    Texture NPOT support: yes
    Virtual Machine: no
    kwin(2373)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate:penDatabase: Trying to open ksycoca from "/var/tmp/kdecache-rog132/ksycoca4"
    kwin(2373)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::instance: instance(): ... initialised
    kwin(2373)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readConfig: readConfig(): local zone= "Europe/Helsinki"
    kwin(2373)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*) KSystemTimeZonesPrivate::readZoneTab: readZoneTab( "/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab" )
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

This is the bug, I am referring to: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1218691

direct rendering seems to be enabled:
      hp@hp:~$ glxinfo | grep -i direct
      direct rendering: Yes

restarting kwin is not really helpful:
      hp@hp:~$ kwin --replace
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 14: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_blur" is not supported
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_wobblywindows" is not supported
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_flipswitch" is not supported
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_startupfeedback" is not supported
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_cube" is not supported
      kwin(3067) KWin::EffectsHandlerImpl::loadEffect: EffectsHandler::loadEffect : Effect "kwin4_effect_cubeslide" is not supported

restarting kwin after editing kwinrc doens't give any other result
      maybe this is interesting in kwinrc:
      [$Version]
      update_info=kwin_remove_effects.upd:kwin4.7_effect s

I followed the advice in the old thread - editing kwinrc - but this has no effect, too.

Comment

The KDE Community Forums thread: Kwin falls back to XRender after updating to KDE 4.10 - http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=109963 has some tips what to look & try.

More of the command:
        Code:
        KWIN_COMPOSE=O2 kwin --graphicssystem raster --replace &
        can be found http://community.kde.org/KWin/Environment_Variables
        KWIN_COMPOSE

The environment variable KWIN_COMPOSE enforces a compositing backend or forces compositing completely off. The following values are supported:
        O: OpenGL backend (either OpenGL 1, OpenGL 2 or OpenGL ES 2.0)
        O1: OpenGL 1 backend
        O2: OpenGL 2 backend
        X: XRender backend
        N: No Compositing
        Last edited by Rog132; Oct 01, 2013, 12:15 PM.

Comment

That was a good one! Messed up my desktop in a very charming fashion!

Currently, I am thinking, that the issue is not related to kwin, but more in the kernel - driver - X server area.

I booted the 3.11.0.8 kernel, which was (as I think) active when everything was running so well. But even
          with the 3.11.0.8 kernel, desktop effects could not be enabled.

So do you know, if there is a possiblity to go back to the version from September 30 ? If so, I would go back to that
          to examine the situation. I then could compare that to the actual version.

Comment

So do you know, if there is a possiblity to go back to the version from September 30 ? If so, I would go back to that
            to examine the situation. I then could compare that to the actual version.
            The apt has an option to downgrade the packages: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/archive...p/t-54068.html . The graphical package managers (Muon, Synaptic) have also this option.

If you have the old binary packages available then you could downgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X