Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[13.10 64Bit Beta1]-UEFI GRUB Not Working After Install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    What's the output of
    Code:
    sudo efibootmgr -v
    It outputs:
    Code:
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 1 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0000,0001
    Boot0000* kubuntu       HD(1,800,f3800,3c584895-f46c-49e1-a0f9-205ab86e2e72)File(\EFI\kubuntu\shimx64.efi)
    Boot0001* Hard Drive    BIOS(2,0,00)..GO..NO........o.I.N.T.E.L. .S.S.D.S.A.2.M.0.8.0.G.2.G.C....................A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.V.C.O.P.5.9.1.2.2.0.F.Y.8.0.B.0.N.G. . ........BO..NO........o.W.D.C. .W.D.2.0.E.A.R.S.-.0.7.M.V.W.B.0....................A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L. . . . .W. .-.D.C.W.Z.A.4.A.1.2.8.0.7.8........BO..NO........o.S.T.3.3.2.0.6.2.0.A.S....................A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L. . . . . . . . . . . . .Q.5.1.F.2.K.J.3........BO..NO........o.S.T.3.2.5.0.8.2.4.N.S....................A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L. . . . . . . . . . . . .N.5.3.D.Y.1.2.9........BO                                                        
    Boot0002* ubuntu        HD(1,800,f3800,3c584895-f46c-49e1-a0f9-205ab86e2e72)File(\EFI\Ubuntu\grubx64.efi)
    [Edit]
    Interesting that it loads grubx64.efi from the ubuntu folder and shimx64.efi from the kubuntu folder.
    Removing the copied folder from my fix (/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu) and rebooting gives me the exact same output.

I tried boot-repair before, just after installing, but it didn't help. I don't remember doing any Konsole inputs though, so I might have done something wrong.

[Edit #2]
    Opening grub64.efi in a hex editor I can find a string reference to "/EFI/ubuntu" but none to "/EFI/kubuntu". Relevant?
    Last edited by tanasinn; Oct 06, 2013, 09:40 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

For Boot-Repair to work it necessary to install files on the installation USB. The instructions on how to do this were previously described by me on this topic.

Boot-repair will not do anything unless you follow the instructions it gives you. I found these quite clear and easy to follow. Unfortunately, the images to illustrate what to do are not shown in the order in which they were loaded.

The initial window for boot repair is the bottom one and after you select the top option to use the "Recommended repair", it will then give a window with the text to copy into Konsole. This is shown in the next one up. After copying the highlighted text into Konsole and getting it to complete all the operatons, the forward button is selected to get the next window which is shown in the second graphic from the top. Use ctrl A to select all the text to copy into Konsole. After these operations are complete, and the forward button is selected, boot-repair will do all the necessary Grub changes. When complete the final window, on the top is shown. Here you see that it detected my 256GB SSD disc.

I have always found that on reboot, I can start Kubuntu on sda as well as choose the recovery mode if needed.

One final comment is that the 12 October iso still does not handle EFI
      Attached Files
      Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 14, 2013, 03:25 AM. Reason: Had to do another installation

Comment

@tanasinn: Is SecureBoot enabled or disabled in your firmware settings?

Comment

I had the same problem on my Intel Haswell + Intel DH87RL Motherboard. Fixed it with boot-repair just like NoWorries did.

Comment

Working...
          X