This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with 13.10

When I want to edit software sources or change update server, the "Software sources" window doesn't load. When I enter password and hit enter it goes back to the Muon window and does an action like I pressed the "Check for updates" button.
    Also when I go to User Management in System Settings it asks for a password and then crashes.
    I am not the only one with this problem as there is a discussion on it at the moment on google+ kubuntu community.
    I did an online update from 13.04 and it is the 64 bit version.
    I have done the following but nothing has worked.
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get update --fix-missing

and I was given the following command line to enter
    sudo apt-get -f install but it gives me
    E: Invalid operation install

if you do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    what happens? do you get errors about unmet dependecys or broken/unconfigured packages?

13.10 is NOT a stabel relece yet ,,,you can expect breakage at times

O and that last one is "sudo apt-get install -f" not -f install.......

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Aug 26, 2013, 07:56 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      if you do
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      what happens? do you get errors about unmet dependecys or broken/unconfigured packages?

13.10 is NOT a stabel relece yet ,,,you can expect breakage at times

O and that last one is "sudo apt-get install -f" not -f install.......

VINNY
      No error messages with either of those commands.

I know it is a work in progress so I have it loaded on a laptop I don't use. It was given to me because win 8 crashed and they bought a new laptop because no one could fix it. However I got it going so decided to see if I could dual boot it with Kubuntu. That was another story in itself.

HP Pavilion G6 notebook.

Comment

software-properties-kde

When I want to edit software sources or change update server, the "Software sources" window doesn't load. When I enter password and hit enter it goes back to the Muon window and does an action like I pressed the...
        The Muons are using an external application to edit the software sources etc. The application is the software-properties-kde as told when the password is asked.

To get more information - what is exactly broken - try to launch the software-properties-kde from the konsole:

Code:
        software-properties-kde
        You should get a notification of the need of the admin powers

Do you get it or do you get an error message ?

With the
        Code:
        kdesudo software-properties-kde
        You should get the password query and then the 'Software Sources' window.

Do you get it or do you get an error message ?

Also when I go to User Management in System Settings it asks for a password and then crashes.
        Both the software-properties and the userconfig ( http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ser-Management ) are python scripts - a guess: they are not compatible with the current python version.
        Last edited by Rog132; Aug 27, 2013, 11:07 AM.
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

This is what I get:

neville@neville-HP-Pavilion:/$ software-properties-kde
          Segmentation fault (core dumped)

When I put kdesudo in front of it I get the password box, but after entering my password nothing happens.

I had noticed the message on the box the path it was trying to load and compared it to my 12.04 box and noticed the end number was different. I even tried that number in the console but it did nothing.

Comment

Bugs

neville@neville-HP-Pavilion:/$ software-properties-kde
            Segmentation fault (core dumped)
            Reporting bugs (Kubuntu): https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting

A workaroud

There is the GTK frontend to the software sources - software-properties-gtk.

It will install:
            Log of sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends software-properties-gtk

The following NEW packages will be installed:
            aptdaemon-data gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0
            gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 libvte-2.90-9
            libvte-2.90-common python3-aptdaemon.gtk3widgets software-properties-gtk
            0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
            Need to get 745 kB of archives.
            After this operation, 4,303 kB of additional disk space will be used.
            Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
            It won't work with the Muon - but you could use it from the cli or from the KDE menu

KDE Menu > Applications > Settings > Software & Updates

Window ID

I had noticed the message on the box the path it was trying to load and compared it to my 12.04 box and noticed the end number was different...
            It is the Muon window id number.

:~$ software-properties-kde --help
            Usage: software-properties-kde [Qt-options] [KDE-options] [options]

Software Sources List editor

Generic options:
            --help Show help about options
            --help-qt Show Qt specific options
            --help-kde Show KDE specific options
            --help-all Show all options
            --author Show author information
            -v, --version Show version information
            --license Show license information
            -- End of options

Options:
            --debug Print some debug information to the command line
            --massive-debug Print a lot of debug information to the command line
            --dont-update No update on repository change (useful if called from an external program)
            --enable-component <name> Enable the specified component of the distro's repositories [component_arg]
            --enable-ppa <name> Enable PPA with the given name [ppa_arg]
            --keyserver <url> URL of keyserver [keyserver_url]
            --attach <WinID> Win ID to act as a dialogue for [attach_arg]
            --data-dir <data_dir> data directory for UI files [/usr/share/software-properties/]
            Last edited by Rog132; Aug 29, 2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2013/08/30...el.html#t16:56
              yofel anyone else seeing http://paste.kde.org/p052a5509 from printer-applet? 16:56
              genii yofel: With python-dbg installed, I get: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6044961/ 17:30
              yofel yeah, same thing as here 17:32
              genii Meh. Segfault every time... System Settings... Hardware... Input devices.... Touchpad (upon selecting it) 18:30
              yofel indeed 18:51
              yofel software-properties-kde crashes as well 18:51
              yofel I think we have quit a bit of a python issue 18:52

Comment

It has to be in Kubuntu 13.10 not KDE, as I have KDE installed on Kubuntu 12.04 and don't have this problem. Is it a different version of python? Or maybe a python package hasn't been installed.

Comment

I have the same problem.
                  And noticed jockey is not running with some errors maybe also pointing to a Python issue.

Code:
                  teunis@13-10-W520:~$ jockey-kde
                  ERROR:root:Could not find any typelib for AppIndicator3
                  Traceback (most recent call last):
                    File "/usr/bin/jockey-kde", line 32, in <module>
                      import jockey.ui
                    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 36, in <module>
                      from jockey.oslib import OSLib
                    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/jockey/oslib.py", line 27, in <module>
                      class _CapturedInstallProgress(apt.InstallProgress):
                  AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'InstallProgress'
                  teunis@13-10-W520:~$

Comment

After the latest update the network applet is now working (for me).
                    Jockey is still dead.

Comment

Is this fault affecting the top task bar & the ability to resize windows?
                      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

At here, this seems to only affect to the python Qt & KDE bindings - python scripts with Qt/KDE windows are crashing.

Comment

None of my apps have the minimise or close buttons & the menu bar (file, close, save etc) wont select anything. Inside the program it is fine but I can only have 1 app running at the time & have to go to terminal to kill running program so I can use another.
                          The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I don't see problems with the top bar, the three icons are present and functional.

This is an install with the /home of my previous 12.10 install and I had to remove ~/.kde to overcome a crash of Plasma after boot.

Comment

Originally posted by caryb View Post
                              None of my apps have the minimise or close buttons & the menu bar (file, close, save etc) wont select anything. Inside the program it is fine but I can only have 1 app running at the time & have to go to terminal to kill running program so I can use another.
                              Which window decoration are you using? Also check which versions of packages "kde-window-manager" and "kde-window-manager-common" you have installed?

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                              maybe also pointing to a Python issue.
                              It's always a python issue...well maybe only 90% of the time ;p

Comment

Working...
                              X