This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JVM segfaults; Eclipse unusable

KDE 4.11 is looking really good, and I'd like to permanently upgrade to Saucy on my laptop. I cannot, however, since Eclipse is unusable due to JVM segfaults. I reported this as a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...7/+bug/1205452 , but there are dozens of "JVM crashes" bugs that have been reported, many of which involve Eclipse.

None of those seem to be quite the same issue, though; the other bugs are hard to reproduce, crash in different libraries, or are multiple releases old. In this case, Eclipse causes the JVM to segfault every time when clicking OK in the workspace selection dialog. This is easy to reproduce, as I mentioned in the bug report:
    1. Install Kubuntu Saucy from daily media; my bug report says 2013-07-24 but I just reproduced this with 2013-07-29 media.
    2. apt-get update; apt-get install eclipse
    3. Launch Eclipse.
    4. Click OK in 'workspace selection' dialog box.
    5. Examine ~/hs_err_pid(\d+).log for crash details.

I've done this repeatedly on my laptop (Lenovo X61 Tablet, upgraded in-place from Raring) and a VMware virtual machine (clean installs as mentioned above).

I'm able to use Eclipse on Raring without any problems, so this is clearly a new problem. Can anyone else try to reproduce this, and mark my Launchpad bug as "affects me too" if you experience this crash? I don't want this bug to be lost among the other "Eclipse causes JVM to segfault" bugs, since this one is easy to reproduce and makes Kubuntu Saucy completely unusable for me.

Thanks a lot.

As Saucy is only at Alpha2 (not even in Beta yet), there are going to be issues that come up that will need to be resolved. This is expected in the development stages. I'd be pretty confident that your issue will resolve itself as updates to Saucy come down the pike.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I considered it possible that this would work itself out -- e.g. if the JVM isn't compiled against the right version of libglib-2.0 or something along those lines, and a normal version bump + recompilation would fix this.

I thought it equally likely fixing this will require actual work, and thought I'd err on the side of reporting an unnecessary bug

Comment

Figured I'd bump this thread since the 13.10 release is getting closer and Eclipse is still unusable. The Launchpad bug (linked in my first post) now shows 7 people that this affects, including me. I'll have to stick with Raring until this is resolved, which will be tricky with the new "9 months from release" updates cutoff. I looked in to fixing this myself, but I am not qualified to debug JNI bindings to GTK code.

I'm sure the Eclipse team has their hands full with maintaining 700+ packages, and I don't think they've noticed this bug yet since the importance is still "Undecided". If you use Eclipse on Kubuntu please mark that bug as "affects me too" -- more heat on this can't hurt

Comment

Working...
        X