This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD/DVD Writer recognizes CD but not DVD

While trying to repair my broken test 13.10 installation I came to realize painfully that my CD writer does recognize CDs but ignores DVDs. I need it to read my installation DVD 13.10.

Here is some basic info:

sudo lshw -class disk:

*-cdrom
    description: DVD writer
    product: CD/DVDW SD-R6472
    vendor: TOSHIBA
    physical id: 0.0.0
    bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
    logical name: /dev/cdrom2
    logical name: /dev/cdrw2
    logical name: /dev/dvd2
    logical name: /dev/dvdrw2
    logical name: /dev/sr0
    version: TR50
    capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd dvd-r
    configuration: ansiversion=5 status=nodisc

(there was a DVD in there!)

When opened with kb3 (which also reports no medium present when a DVD is inserted), the command 'mount' gives this:

/dev/sr0 on /media/cdrom type iso9660 (ro)

/dev/sr0 on /media/Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS i386 type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8, mode=0400,dmode=0500,uhelper=udisks)

I have a CD/DVD writer which is apparently working. But where and how is it mounted?

I tried to modify fstab which did not work. I attempted to mount the reader manually. Error: Already mounted or busy.

I tried other suggestions in various Kubuntu and Ubuntu places: No luck.

How do I get DVDs to be read by the reader/writer?

Again?
    I am not the only one with this problem. therefore someone should know the answer to my question.

Here it is, answered in another Kubuntuforum thread:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...light=Cd%2FDVD

It involves getting rid of a faulty mkisofs and cdrecord packages that are part of the standard Kubuntu repositories. the problem is supposedly solved by installing the 'real' mkisofs and cdrecord files by compilation and a new link to the actual working files.

Since I have had bad experiences every time I attempt to copmpile anything, I will wait to see if the maintainers will eventually fix this problem.

The referenced link also points to a website that explains why this problem exists in the first place. Looks like there are some egos involved.

But do Kubuntu users have to pay the price for that?

Comment

Working...
    X