This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Upgrade

Today when I was working a pop-up came to tell me that there was a Kubuntu upgrade available.
    Is it possible to make this upgrade from within 13.04 and if so, how?
    Thank you, Elder73.

it will take you to 13.10 ,,,,,,,if you dare to take it just click the upgrade icon in the system tray and follow the prompts .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      it will take you to 13.10 ,,,,,,,if you dare to take it
      Too funny, I wear my 12.04.x like a cozy sweater sittin' on mah rocker with mah kitty in mah lap, lol.

@elder73...there will be lots of downloading followed by numerous installing (usually about 30 minutes for the average machine/ISP connection), then you will have to click around to make sure everything still works OK. The basic rule of thumb is if you like what you have and it's working OK, then stick with it, you can shut off upgrade notifications, every time there is an upgrade, it is widely publicized here and on Distrowatch.
      Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 22, 2013, 06:24 PM. Reason: Added point

Comment

Thank you both, I guess I will stick with 13.04. Elder73

Comment

Good choice, this upgrade is not as smooth as my last three were.

Give it a few more weeks for the fixes to be done.

Comment

My rule of thumb is as long as it is a release and not a beta, upgrade. In doing so I realize there may be issues. But my experience is that they are corrected quickly. But one must evaluate there own tolerance for this sort of thing. After some initial issues installing, 13.10 has been running well for me.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
              But one must evaluate there own tolerance for this sort of thing.
              Well said, if you are a newb and/or are not very search engine savvy (workaround/fix hunting)...LTS releases work for me, used to have the time and patience to fiddle, actually loved it, but now, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                if you are a newb and/or are not very search engine savvy (workaround/fix hunting)
                Very good point. The nice thing is there is no pressure to upgrade, and long term support. I know many people who are still using much older versions of Linux distros and are quite happy with them.
                Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                Always consider Occam's Razor
                Rich

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
                  Well said, if you are a newb and/or are not very search engine savvy (workaround/fix hunting)...LTS releases work for me, used to have the time and patience to fiddle, actually loved it, but now, meh.
                  Muahaha ,,,,I still do love to tinker ,,,,,,so my box (HP-G62 laptop) has 3 installs ATM ,,,12.04(so altered it wont net upgrade((non standard X PPA way non standard kernal bla bla)) ) 12.10 & 13.10 (was 13.04 just net upgraded to 13.10)

when 14.04-LTS gets released I will prob. do a clean install to the 12.04's / and use the old ~/ (with out formating it) , with ~/.kde removed for the new one .

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                  X