This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

google-chrome-stable can't be installed

I don't understand what this is telling me. Unmet dependencies - I get that. But the programs listed are unknown to Muon, and that makes no sense to me at all. Searching for each, it appears they are all somehow connected to the AMD processor (which is not relevant for me) and a 64 bit version at that. Huh? How did I end in THIS end of the pool?

Here's my terminal output:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     google-chrome-stable : Depends: lib32gcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but it is not installable
                            Depends: lib32stdc++6 (>= 4.6) but it is not installable
                            Depends: libc6-i386 (>= 2.11) but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    $
    Muon won't install it either.

I'm in over my head on this. I depend upon the Chrome browser, and right now I don't have a working version except on my netbook. Would much appreciate any suggestions for resolution of this problem.

Thanks!

Any reason you don't want to install/use Chromium (chromium-browser)?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

why not use Chromium?

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Any reason you don't want to install/use Chromium (chromium-browser)?
      I compared the two earlier today, and only saw that Chromium stripped out some features in Chrome that I want, so why do it? I simply saw no obvious gain.

Revisiting this page, I arrive at the same conclusion. Don't see anything there screaming at me Use Chromium.

I respect your opinion, so what did I miss?
      Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 16, 2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

No problem. Personal choice is 'freedom'.

You stated: "...it appears they are all somehow connected to the AMD processor (which is not relevant for me) and a 64 bit version at that."

Sounds like you selected the wrong option "if" you have a 32-bit system. On this page the 'default' selection is for 32-bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu).
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
          Would much appreciate any suggestions for resolution of this problem.
          A bug affecting 32-bit installs - http://askubuntu.com/questions/35953.../359664#359664.

Comment

I thought of that as well, but then...why does Muon tell me the same thing - can't install google-chrome-stable-package because of the same uninstallable dependencies?

Well, I re-downloading the install module - 32 bit for sure this time. We'll see what happens.

UPDATE: same result as before.
            Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 17, 2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks. That's exactly the problem. This is rare, in my experience. Well, we'll keep watching for a fix. Thanks for the detective work.

Comment

OK - if you're willing to do some command line wrangling, the fix for now is here.

UPDATE: Does not work on my new Kubuntu 13.10.
                Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 17, 2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: Just installed Kubuntu 13.10, released today. It removed my freshly installed Chrome-stable browser.

I wonder if anyone else is having this experience...or maybe I'm just the chosen one. (!) Actually, if a bug's filed, I presume it likely that many others are having this experience. Lovely.
                  And as noted above, the posted fix no longer works, on my KB 13.10.
                  Last edited by tomcloyd; Oct 17, 2013, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem. I 'solved' it for the time being by installing Google chrome beta. This is on 12.04. The dependency problem seems solved in this beta.
                    As soon as the stable version is repaired I'll go back to stable. I only use Google Chrome for testing, so I don't use it very much. Don't know if the beta maybe has other problems...

Comment

It seems Google Chrome has resolved the issue: http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Inter...me-48046.shtml
                      I had installed Google Chrome Beta. Installing Google Chrome using Synaptic/Muon didn't work. I first had to remove Google Beta using Muon (synaptic refused to remove it because of broken packages).
                      Installing the normal Google Chrome using Synaptic/Muon didn't work. So i downloaded the normal Google Chrome from Google's website and installed it using GDebi. Finally it installed like it should. And it runs like it should.
                      Maybe if you didn't install the beta it will update the normal way. That's certainly easier...

Comment

Working...
                      X