This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine problem, not the drinkable kind.

I would like to install Wine on Kubuntu 13.04. All goes well with the install:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    This sets off a lot of screen activity and then it ends up and stalls at a page that is headed:
    "TrueType core fonts for web EULA" This is a page about rights and permissions. At the bottom of the page is an <OK> for me to do just that, but the <OK> is dead, it does not do anything. All of this is written on an ordinary text page, so hitting <Enter> has no effect either.
    If anyone can point out to my what to do next, I would appreciate it. Thank you Elder73

Try the arrows on your keyboard and use <enter> to select your option. Ncurses uses the keyboard, not mouse.

Comment

The 'OK' has to be 'highlighted' before pressing Enter (aka Return), this is sometimes accomplished by using the Tab key, every time you press the tab key, the highlight will move between each user interactive possible choice/entry in any particular screen, they make you move the highlight field on purpose, so you can't say you agreed 'accidentally' or by 'mistake'.
      Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 14, 2013, 02:32 AM. Reason: was incomplete

Comment

Hello fellow WINE user, I run multiple versions of WINE on my PC.

My system runs WINE 1.4 by default. However I have several versions of WINE on my PC, because I have found that some versions work better with different software. I also went through the sound issues, graphics issues, etc.. I am currently running a Kubuntu 12.04 machine with an ATI Radeon HD 5450. I also use winetricks a lot.

Recently I setup Rift on my PC which is similar to World of Warcraft. Through trial and error I found it best ran under WINE 1.5.31 although it may vary due to machine hardware. Basically I have my WINE 1.5.31 installed in my $HOME directory as a hidden folder called .wine-1.5.31 and I created a wine prefix called .wine-rift using winetricks and installed all the support files required.

This setup allows me to install the actual game anyplace I want. I have a seperate HD just for my games. I then once I get the program up and running, I created this bash script to call up the proper version of WINE and the game.

Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        export WINEPREFIX="/home/simon/.wine-rift"
        export WINESERVER="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/bin/wineserver"
        export WINELOADER="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/bin/wine"
        export WINEDEBUG="-all"
        export WINEDLLPATH="/home/simon/.wine-1.5.31/lib/wine"
        cd "/media/drive_d/RIFT"
        $WINELOADER 'riftpatchlive.exe'
        If you have audio issues, I would also recommend purging Pulse Audio (if you are using it) and going straight ALSA. After I purged Pulse Audio my sound issues cleared right up. I don't miss PA but it is always there in the distros if you really want it back. There are some people who like using the "Play on Linux" which is nothing more than a fancy WINE front end GUI using Python and Bash scripts. I try all programs with the highest distro version 1.7 and work down from there.

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
          The 'OK' has to be 'highlighted' before pressing Enter (aka Return), this is sometimes accomplished by using the Tab key, every time you press the tab key, the highlight will move between each user interactive possible choice/entry in any particular screen, they make you move the highlight field on purpose, so you can't say you agreed 'accidentally' or by 'mistake'.
          Thank you this did the trick. Wine is now installed.

Comment

Originally posted by elder73 View Post
            Thank you this did the trick. Wine is now installed.
            You're welcome, please mark the thread solved.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I mark it solved?

Comment

top of page "thread tools"

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  Try the arrows on your keyboard and use <enter> to select your option. Ncurses uses the keyboard, not mouse.
                  Originally posted by tek_heretick
                  sometimes accomplished by using the Tab key
                  I don't know how many times I have installed WINE over the years, but I still forget this. So, thanks guys for yet another reminder.
                  Linux User #454271

Comment

Also, shout out to PlayOnLinux. It's a really great tool for starting out on Wine. It makes using multiple bottles easier and has preconfigured set-ups for software. It has issues with sometimes leaving you with software using an old wine version when there are performance improvements. It literally creates a tailored wine install for each thing you install.

I personally use Crossover because I have found it to be great and makes managing things super easy. It also has a lot of auto settings etc preconfigured and in my experience it just works better. That said, it uses a single wine install with some magic to give a great experience.

Comment

Nah, no ignorance, there should be a very obvious solved button. I just remind people so other members can help the next person, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                        Also, shout out to PlayOnLinux. It's a really great tool for starting out on Wine.
                        Yes, I find it useful too, I've used it several times.

Comment

Working...
                        X