X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install proprietary drivers / any software on Muon

Hello guys,

I've installed Kubuntu today and ran into the following problems, which, I believe, have a common cause:

I. I can't install the proprietary drivers for my Nvidia GPU:

Whenever I try to install them, I get an error message telling me, to check the log file of jockey for more details.
    I did so, here's the output:

Code:
    2013-10-12 21:27:25,653 DEBUG: Installing package: nvidia-310
    2013-10-12 21:27:26,431 ERROR: Binary package nvidia-310 has no trusted origin, rejecting
    2013-10-12 21:27:26,563 WARNING: modinfo for module nvidia_310 failed: ERROR: Module nvidia_310 not found.

2013-10-12 21:27:26,564 WARNING: /sys/module/nvidia_310/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind nvidia_310 driver
    It seems like Jockey thinks the package was dangerous for some reason, strange...

2. I can't install any programs from Muon:

Whenever I try to install a program from Muon, e.g. Firefox, it's put onto the 'in progress' list while in fact nothing happens.

'sudo apt-get install' seems to work perfectly as I managed to install 'gedit'.

I hope you guys are able to help me.

Thank you very much in advance!

PS: Please tell me, if you need additional details.

When you say proprietary, is it the one from the repository or downloaded directly from nVidia?

What's the GPU? What bus (PCIe, etc) is it on? What's your system spec's?

This is from Ubuntu - fix broken packages
    Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 12, 2013, 09:25 PM. Reason: Added extra question(s)

Comment

Originally posted by tek_heretik View Post
      When you say proprietary, is it the one from the repository or downloaded directly from nVidia?

What's the GPU? What bus (PCIe, etc) is it on? What's your system spec's?

This is from Ubuntu - fix broken packages
      It's the normal NV 310 driver package from Nvidia:

(Well, the screenshot also caught KDE's 'start menue' but I guess you know what I mean.

And the packages don't seem to be broken, as jockey/Muon seem to refuse them...

Comment

Sorry but that doesn't look like a repository package(s) to me, this is what mine looks like...

Click image for larger version

Name:	AditionalDrivers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	640484

Jockey will reject 'foreign' files, there is no verification hash, they have to come from the repository.

Actual binary blob nVidia driver install instructions here.
        Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 13, 2013, 01:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Sorry but that doesn't look like a repository package(s) to me, this is what mine looks like...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4406[/ATTACH]

Jockey will reject 'foreign' files, there is no verification hash, they have to come from the repository.

Actual binary blob nVidia driver install instructions here.
          Strange, why does my menue look different?

Anyways, I managed to install the drivers with

Code:
          sudo apt-get install nvidia-310
          It works well so far, I'll try some 3d programs later.

Still, the 'Muon' problem persists...

When I tried to install some other program via 'apt-get' I got an error telling me something about a 'lock' file
          in '/var/cache/apt/archives/'

I looked it up and found this thread on the Internet, in which someone suggested to delete it with root privileges.

'apt-get install' seems to work perfectly now, even though I don't understand why I didn't have any issues when I installed the nvidia package.

Comment

David, try using Synaptic (GUI package manager), it's been around for years, I'm old school, I don't want to use or like the new ones, blech, I find Synaptic way better, I have it set to show me what's going on in a Terminal window, I watch every line going by.

Code:
            sudo apt-get install synaptic
            Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 13, 2013, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David R. View Post
              Strange, why does my menue look different?

Anyways, I managed to install the drivers with

Code:
              sudo apt-get install nvidia-310
              It works well so far, I'll try some 3d programs later.

Still, the 'Muon' problem persists...

When I tried to install some other program via 'apt-get' I got an error telling me something about a 'lock' file
              in '/var/cache/apt/archives/'

I looked it up and found this thread on the Internet, in which someone suggested to delete it with root privileges.

'apt-get install' seems to work perfectly now, even though I don't understand why I didn't have any issues when I installed the nvidia package.
              when apt-get,muon,synaptic,aptitude install a package from the archives the package gets DL'd to '/var/cache/apt/archives/' and the program in use places a "lock file"on the directory to make shure no other program can use the directory wile the installation is taking place.
              IF some thing interrupts the programs install procedure or it dose not complete properly this "lock file" can be left on the directory and prevent any program from using it .

when you installed the nvidia package you had DL'ed it to some where elce and installed it from their ,,,,,,so no lock file.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Muon Package Manager is for most people sufficiently powerful though Synaptic does have some extra functions, personally I have been using Muon for years and it rarely gives a reason to revert to the command line.
                These applications are mainly graphical front-ends for the actual apt-get or aptitude commands, it's mainly just the feedback that differs.

/var/cache/apt/archives/lock, if this file is present any update attempt will believe another is already running and it will not allow a second instant to interfere.
                A (stale) lock file can sometimes remain after an unclean shut-down of an update.
                If you are sure you are not trying two updates at the same time, like in your case, you can simply remove the lock file.

Code:
                sudo rm /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
                Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 13, 2013, 01:40 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Comment

Thank you, guys!

I removed the 'lock' files from '/var/cache/apt/archives/' and '/var/cache/apt/lists' and everything works fine now.
                  It was even possible to download newer drivers from jockey!

I also tried Synaptic, which is, in my opinion, partially more convenient than Muon. You see what you need at the first glance!

Solved! And thanks once again!

Comment

Thank you, guys!

I removed the 'lock' files from '/var/cache/apt/archives/' and '/var/cache/apt/lists' and everything works fine now.
                    It was even possible to download newer drivers from jockey!

I also tried Synaptic, which is, in my opinion, partially more convenient than Muon. You see what you need at the first glance!

Solved! And thanks once again!
                    That's great, what would be even better is you marking this thread 'solved' , Thread Tools at the upper right/Mark This Thread Solved.
                    Last edited by tek_heretik; Oct 13, 2013, 02:47 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

That's great, what would be even better is you marking this thread 'solved' , Thread Tools at the upper right/Mark This Thread Solved.
                      Oh, I'll make sure to mark it as solved next time!

Comment

Oh, I'll make sure to mark it as solved next time!
                        Meh, I just remind people so other members may skip over it to somebody that still needs help, that's all.

Comment

Working...
                        X