This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 13.04 Hangs at Shutdown after Recent Kernel Update

Ever since the last kernel update (3.8.0-31-generic), my system hangs at shutdown for approximately 5 minutes with no disk activity. Occasionally, it will hang with the Kubuntu splash screen on the display, but most of the time, it hangs right after the message "Asking all remaining processes to terminate." After about 5 minutes, there is a message saying that the modem manager is terminating, then I see a flurry of file system unmount messages, and the system completes the shutdown. I've perused the /var/log/syslog, but so far, I haven't found anything unusual. There is nothing recorded in the syslog for the ~5 minute period.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? How can I diagnose the source of the problem? I'm an experienced linux user, but I haven't delved deeply into system configuration details. I would appreciate any help.

Most of the google results I've tracked down on this problem points to the network manager hanging on exit; especially if there are other network shares or network mounts active at shutdown. There are several fixes mentioned on the various forums, but I don't see any single conclusive "fix" for everyone.

For me, I opened the network manager panel and deselected "allow all users to use this connection." Or your version might call it a "sysem connection." If you have network shares or mounts, you can either unmount them at shutdown with a script, or install smbk4 and use it to "force unmount" network shares on shutdown. The smbk4 route will still hang for about 10-15 seconds, but nothing like 2-5 min.

As I understand it, disabling your network connection for "all users" or "system connections" will mean that while you are logged in, nobody else on the system can utilize that interface if they log in at the same time. Not an issue for a standard desktop with only one active user at a time.

Comment

I suspect you might be right about the network shared file systems playing a role in this problem. I have a WebDAV network folder mounted in my main directory (~/). I've tested a few solutions, however, with no success. First, I tried unmounting the WebDAV folder before shutdown, but there was no discernible difference in shutdown time. The ~5 minute pause still happened. I also tried your suggestion regarding the "system connection" setting in the network manager. I removed the permission for all users to use the connection, but it had no effect on shutdown. So far, I haven't tried the smbk4 solution.

I'm starting to question whether the network folder is not the ultimate problem here. On the other hand, I've noticed one other aberration with the WebDAV folder: Every time I mount the folder in my local directory, I get the following warning:

WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/[USER]/keyring-xGXvqJ/pkcs11: No such file or directory

I never got this warning prior to the recent kernel update, and I didn't have shutdown problems like this either. Why am I getting a warning from a gnome program? Why would Kubuntu try to access gnome-keyring? Shouldn't there be a corresponding KDE program that accomplishes a similar task? '

Comment

Working...
      X