Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After upgrade 13.10 hangs after login ... maual startx from CLI needed to start

After one of the recent upgrades Kubuntu 13.10 is refusing to go beyond the screen after login. It just sits there doing nothing.

Workaround:
    Ctrl - Alt- F1
    login:
    password

then:
    "startx"

This resolves the problem and starts the system. Thereafter everything runs normally.
    I need to repeat this procedure after every cold start.

Is there a better way to do this? I know there is.

I am not sure if what you are experiencing is similar to problems that I had. I found that .Xauthority was the culprit. You will find discussion and a solution to this problem here. Hope this solves your problem.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion.
      I had attempted before posting to resolve the matter by erasing .Xauthority.
      Tried it again according to your leads.

It does not work.
      I still am experiencing the problem: Normal boot to login screen, login accepted, login screen disappears and then everything hangs with a standard Kubuntu/Kde screen withtout any text or structure. Just blue swirls.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 allows me to get to a CLI login prompt. From there 'startx' gets things going normally.

Upon log out the Xserver shuts down and apparently is not restarted automatically upon login.

Comment

Once you are 'in', create a new user account. Log out and log in under the new user. Is the same thing experienced, or does the new user get in 'as expected'?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is doing the same thing.
          No change whatsoever.

Comment

Then the issue isn't about something within your /home directory. What graphics hardware do you have?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Then the issue isn't about something within your /home directory. What graphics hardware do you have?
              I checked that quite a while ago. I have one of the worst as someone told me.

But it used to work before one of the updates. And it works just fine after I have logged in from the command line.
              I also have to logout from the command line.

Running latest software version.

Comment

Working...
              X