This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pressing switch does not result in confirmation

I upgraded from Kubuntu 12.04 to Kubuntu 13.04 on a Dell Vostro 1510, now when I press the power switch, the session does not ask for a confirmation. Instead the computer switches without a warning.

Other symptoms, perhaps related:
    • Shutting down from the button is not elegant, the screen turns black and the computer shuts down in text mode and it is very verbose. The screen keeps flicking back and forth from desktop background, to black, to seeing conky or not etc. After which there is much verbose.
    • Boot is verbose, it goes from text to splash screen, but there is no KDE logo to visualise loading up.

A little troubleshooting on KDE forums led to the following observations:
    • Pressing the button does not follow any of the optional power settings, no matter what I choose there.
    • Sending a STOP signal to acpid after which pressing the power button did not result in shutting down but rather in turning off the screen as per power settings. It seems the acpid is the culprit.

On KDE forum it was suggested "As for removing acpid - you could try either adjusting it's configuration to do nothing, or alternately, uninstall the "acpid" package. You might want to consult the Kubuntu forum before you do that though."

Could you help me out fix my Kubuntu?

Thanks.
    Benjamin

Benjamin:

Did 12.04 work properly on that machine?

I have a Dell Vostro 1710, and an even earlier 1700. Both took to 12.04 very well.

How did you do the upgrade? Ordinarily one has to go from 12.04 to 12.10, and then to 13.04. Did you do an upgrade, or did you reinstall from scratch?

Finally, even though the boot up and shut down is verbose, does it work? In other words, does the machine behave properly otherwise?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Hi Frank,

I've used my vostro with Ubuntu / Kubuntu for 6 years now. 12.04 worked fine. I upgraded using a live CD (rather a USB), overwriting 12.04 and keeping my /home partition.
      Otherwise, things work fine on Kubuntu 13.04. When called from the power button, the shutting down process is quite abrupt (screen goes blank and good bye) it seems unhealthy but I am not sure.

Benjamin

Comment

I have the same issue with the power button on an Acer V5 and Kubuntu 13.04 installed from scratch. The other issue pointed out in another thread is no visible lightdm of kdm screen, although I can get to the desktop by typing the password on the black screen. i have just enabled auto logon to avoid doing that. But I do not think that second issue is related to the power button abrupt shutdown with no confirmation.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Benjamin:

I know that the hardware on my 1710 is a bit fussy with regard to power savings support. Even on 12.04, not everything works. You could play with kernel parameters if you really have to have a newer version of Kubuntu. But, honestly, if 12.04 works, why change?

12.04 is an LTS release (Long Term Support). 14.04 will be the next LTS release, and should be out in April, 2014, which is not that far away. LTS releases are noted for their polish and stability. I try not to use anything else. Interim releases are more experimental, and lack the 'fit and finish' of the LTS releases. Issues such as what you are facing are not uncommon with the interim releases. One can spend a lot of time tracking the issues down, which is great for the community if you file bug reports and/or find the solution. If one has an extra machine, and realizes that the interim releases are experimental, and one wants to get involved in making the whole distro better, then that is a great thing to do. However, if this is a machine that you actually use to do real work, sticking with an LTS release causes much less in the way of headaches.

If you decide to track the problem down, then I am afraid that this is beyond my personal level of expertise. However, there are others here that know a whole lot more than I do, so go ahead and post back if you need to pursue this any further.

Frank.

Comment

While I would like to find a solution, and will continue to pursue one, I find this a minor inconvenience. In all other respects 13.04 is running very well on my laptop and see no reason to regress to an earlier version. And I will definitely upgrade to 13.10 when it is released.
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Rich

Comment

I'd like an answer to this as well - it also affects me on my Dell XPS 13. It's difficult to hunt down because I don't know what package is the culprit, but the problem seems to be unique to KDE because it doesn't happen in any GTK flavor of Ubuntu. A similar issue on the XPS 13 (that no one seems to talk about at all) is the lack of a brightness indicator when using the keyboard, but one problem at a time really.

Comment

mdye:

A similar issue on the XPS 13 (that no one seems to talk about at all) is the lack of a brightness indicator when using the keyboard,
                Can't help you any further with the former, but I can help with the latter.

I have the same issue with my Asus X202e. I haven't bothered making the brightness keys work because thiere is such a good workaround. I have two simple one-line scripts attached to two green arrow icons on the bottom of the screen. One brightens by 20% increments, the other dims in 20% increments. xbacklight is a package that has to be installed, but it is in the repos.

xbacklight -dec 20
                xbacklight -inc 20

If you want to try this, install xbacklight, run one or both of the commands above in a terminal, and make sure it works. Not all machines respond to xbacklight.

I've added the reduced size screenshot so that you can see the two green triangle icons that I use to control this.

Hope that helps.

Frank.
                Attached Files

Comment

In my case on my Acer, just installing the xbacklight app activated the keyboard brightness switching.
                  Rich

Comment

richb:

In my case on my Acer, just installing the xbacklight app activated the keyboard brightness switching.
                    HAH! I'd never checked! My keyboard keys now work too! That or an update fixed it. I am running 12.10 64 bit on this little netbook.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank616 View Post
                      richb:

HAH! I'd never checked! My keyboard keys now work too! That or an update fixed it. I am running 12.10 64 bit on this little netbook.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Frank.
                      And you pointed out xbacklight, so thanks for that!
                      Rich

Comment

Working...
                      X