This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE does not maintain vsync

I have vsync enabled both in the nVidia X Server Settings and KDE System Settings/Desktop Effects, but upon booting the computer, vsync is not enabled (I get tearing when I move a window). If I change a setting in Desktop Effects, such as changing Rendering from Native to Raster and back to Native again, vsync is at least temporarily enabled, but then it seems to eventually disable again.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Mountain Man; Aug 28, 2013, 05:29 AM.

A fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04 "fixed" this problem. No idea what was going on.

Comment

I have also experienced this problem. It seems to be related to the Nvidia proprietary driver. When you were experiencing your issues, do you remember what version of the driver you were running? When you reinstalled did you install a different driver or leave it running on nouveau?

I experienced this problem as well. It also occurs under openSUSE. It occurs with the 325.15 driver. I haven't tried any other version so I don't know if this bug exists in other versions. Like you, the only way I found to get vsync going was to change the desktop effects settings.

Comment

This problem has returned after upgrading to Kubuntu 13.10. I'm running driver version 319.60 (same version as before the upgrade). I've also noticed that the "Additional Drivers" tool shows the warning "This driver is activated but not currently in use" even though every other indication is that it is being used, for instance, lsmod currently lists nvidia as being used by 75 other processes.

Surely there's an easier fix than wiping root and reinstalling from scratch. Isn't there some configuration file or other than I can edit or delete and force it to treat it as a "clean" install? Please help. This is driving me nuts!

Comment

I realized this would be more appropriate in the 13.10 forums, so I'll mark it "solved".

Comment

Working...
          X