This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WINE missing from app launcher

I wanted to start from scratch with WINE, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it from the get-go. Now WINE's there and works, but the programs don't show up in Kubuntu's Application Launcher.

Here's what I did.

Uninstall WINE completely:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove wine
    rm -rf $HOME/.wine
    rm -f $HOME/.config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
    rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm
    Its entries were still in the launcher, so I manually deleted them (and lived to regret it).

Then I reinstalled WINE, assuming it would bring it back into the App Launcher with the defaults:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install wine
    No such luck. I've been trying to manually add them back, but am not having any luck. Is there some kind of command that installs it back into the launcher?

Edit: One more thing -- is it possible to backup the App Launcher to avoid problems like this in the future?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

In a console: kbuildsycoca4
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      In a console: kbuildsycoca4
      Tried it. Nothing changed. WINE programs will install. I'm able to do that and then manually put them into the App Launcher. It's just that the special section for WINE is gone and won't come back.

Comment

have you installed any windows programs since you reinstalled wine? You won't get any menus until wine actually runs something, I think even running winecfg in a terminal will be enough, as wine will configure the fresh ~/.wine and subsequently recreate the basic menus.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          have you installed any windows programs since you reinstalled wine? You won't get any menus until wine actually runs something, I think even running winecfg in a terminal will be enough, as wine will configure the fresh ~/.wine and subsequently recreate the basic menus.
          I have. I've run Treepad Business and WordWeb, both of which run fine. The WINE menu is still gone. I tried your suggestion of running winecfg in the Konsole. It ran, but it gave me some errors. The first was:

Code:
          p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
          The next happened when I clicked on the audio tab. I got this error:

Code:
          fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
          fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
          It looks to me like something named gnome-keyring is not installed. I searched for it in the Synaptic Package Manager and found it listed as installed. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and then ran winecfg again. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem.

Comment

I deleted my wine folder, and all my app links as you did, then ran winecfg - this is just one way of creating the base wine configurations, simply running a windows exe will do the same btw - and all my stock wine menu items were recreated.

Those error warnings are safe to ignore, I think.

Comment

I deleted my wine folder, and all my app links as you did, then ran winecfg - this is just one way of creating the base wine configurations, simply running a windows exe will do the same btw - and all my stock wine menu items were recreated.

Those error warnings are safe to ignore, I think.
              I've done that before, which is why I'm surprised to be having problems. I just installed Quicken 2012, and it runs so far as I can tell just fine. It even put an icon on my desktop, but there's no WINE entry. It's frustrating.

Comment

Maybe if you purged the app launcher from your system, deleted the config files and then reinstalled it?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                  Maybe if you purged the app launcher from your system, deleted the config files and then reinstalled it?
                  Why purge the app launcher? This does not reset things, it's all in the config files. The problem is that wine is not creating the menu entries for the app launcher(s) to find......

Comment

Why purge the app launcher? This does not reset things, it's all in the config files. The problem is that wine is not creating the menu entries for the app launcher(s) to find......
                    That does seem like killing a roach with a bulldozer. Just as a test, I installed a Linux-based app via the Muon Software Center (repository). The Linux app installed its entry into the app launcher just fine. It's definitely some kind of problem with WINE.

Comment

He said that he tried to put them back in the menu manually, but that it didnt work which made me think that maybe there was a problem with the application launcher and not Wine.

I just installed Wine to have a look. Ive never had wine on this install. The menu items were created before I ran the Wine config program and before I installed any Wine software. The .desktop files are in /usr/share/applications and are nowhere in my home folder. There should be five of them: wine-browsedrive.desktop, wine.desktop, wine-notepad.desktop, wine-uninstaller.desktop, and wine-winecfg.desktop If he has these files, then it probably isnt a Wine problem but an Application launcher problem.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                        He said that he tried to put them back in the menu manually, but that it didnt work which made me think that maybe there was a problem with the application launcher and not Wine.

I just installed Wine to have a look. Ive never had wine on this install. The menu items were created before I ran the Wine config program and before I installed any Wine software. The .desktop files are in /usr/share/applications and are nowhere in my home folder. There should be five of them: wine-browsedrive.desktop, wine.desktop, wine-notepad.desktop, wine-uninstaller.desktop, and wine-winecfg.desktop If he has these files, then it probably isnt a Wine problem but an Application launcher problem.
                        So how would I go about fully uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher if I decide to go that route?

Comment

Did you check to see if you had the .desktop files I mentioned in my previous post?

EDIT: You also may want to see if another Application Launcher program sees it. http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...tion-Launchers
                          Last edited by whatthefunk; Aug 19, 2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

One thing I did not catch is that you uninstalled the package wine which is a metapackage that points to (in the case of 13.04) wine1.4 and other wine utils. So you did not actually purge wine at all, just removed that metapackage. The wine 1.4 package will be the one that contains the scripts and tools that create the menus and mine stuff.

Also, if you edited/removed menu entries using the menu editor, what that actually does in the case of menu items found in /usr/share/applications (system-wide menus), is create a file that defines which things are edited or deleted.
                            ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu. If you have such a file, you can edit it, or delete it to put any "deleted" system-wide menus back into place for this user account.

I am guessing this will put back at least the base wine menus (after running kbuildsyscoca4 to refresh), if not any of your installed windows programs' entries that may have been contained in the applications-kmenuedit.menu file

Mine looks like this:

<Menu>
                            <Layout>
                            <Merge type="menus"/>
                            <Menuname>Debian</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Development</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Education</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Games</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Graphics</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Internet</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Multimedia</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Office</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Science</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Settingsmenu</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>System</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Utilities</Menuname>
                            <Menuname>Applications</Menuname>
                            <Merge type="files"/>
                            <Filename>kde4-Help.desktop</Filename>
                            </Layout>
                            <Menu>
                            <Name>wine-wine</Name>
                            <Deleted/>
                            </Menu>
                            </Menu>
                            I simply deleted the wine main menu altogether, and this file was created to reflect the change. The blue highlights are what would need to be edited, to remove the <Deleted/> bit. In my case, as I have no manually created menu entries simply deleting the file brought back the Wine menus I had "deleted".

Again, removing and reinstalling an app launcher would have zero effect on this

Comment

Success! I went in and renamed the ~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu file and backed it up just in case I needed it. I rebooted and found it recreated. Now the WINE menus are back.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Comment

Working...
                              X