• Time
  • Show
Clear All

File system problem - year vs. time

This is one I haven't seen before.
    Here is a partial listing produced by ls -l

-rwxr-xr-x 1 greenman greenman 829322 Aug 11 15:15 moonbeam-tree1.jpg
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 greenman greenman 838243 Jun 13 2009 MudgeeBathroom.jpg

Notice that the difference is in the column that follows the date -- in some cases, it is the time, in others, it is the year. I am not sure why this is happening; what drew my attention to it is that I have a digital picture frame that will read the ones with the year in the file name, but will not read the ones with the time.

Any idea why this problem, and more importantly, any idea how to fix the files so they display the year and not the time? touch is a disaster -- it converts the files the years to times, so now they are not readable.

This problem is not just on the SD memory card to which the files are copied, it is also on the system hard disk, so it isn't a ext4-FAT problem.

Edit: I discovered that I can use touch in this way, and the file names come out right:

touch -t 201301011200 Zorro.jpg

-rwxr-xr-x 1 greenman greenman 846509 Jan 1 2013 Zorro.jpg

So this is a workaround (losing the access time information) but does not resolve the problem, if it really is one.
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; Aug 13, 2013, 03:01 PM. Reason: further info
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

OK, maybe this is a non-problem. I understand that ls -l should display the date and time if the file date is the current year, and the date and year if the file date is a non-current year. It appears that there is some other reason the photo display device is not displaying photos, which probably has to do with the ones with the older years display having not been modified by GIMP, while the newer ones have, possible with a libjpeg that the older device cannot handle. Another "for-windows" piece of junk for the pile.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd View Post
      ...I understand that ls -l should display the date and time if the file date is the current year, and the date and year if the file date is a non-current year...
      Actually, it's if the file date is within the last six months. In a konsole, see
      Code:
      info coreutils 'ls invocation' 'Formatting file timestamps'
      for the details, and options to control the format.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Actually, it's if the file date is within the last six months
        Yeah, for some reason I thought it was calendar year. That explains the inconsistency in the output.
        Turns out the real problem here is that the device I am sending the images to says it accepts up to 8mb images, but in fact it only works with images much smaller (surprise). Mogrify fixed it.

Comment

Working...
        X