Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treepad Business or CherryTree -- security?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treepad Business or CherryTree -- security?

I've used various versions of Treepad for years under Windows. I started with their freeware lite version, but moved on to the Business edition because it offered more features. The most important feature is the ability to password protect/encrypt files. Some of the data I organize in Treepad is sensitive and needs to be protected. There's no Treepad Business for Linux, only Treepad Lite. However, the Business edition runs perfectly under WINE.

Enter CherryTree. Unlike Treepad Biz, CherryTree is a native Linux application. Turns out it has many of the same features as Treepad Biz such as the ability to put an image into a document, various formatting, and, most importantly, the ability to password protect files. And I can import my Treepad files over if I save them first as Treepad Lite files. That's a little less than ideal, but the new CherryTree file could be password protected.

Is there any way to find out how secure the encryption is in Treepad Biz versus CherryTree? Since both programs run well, the security seems to be the deciding factor if I can find a way to determine which one is best in that respect.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Cherrytree features:

password protection (using http://www.7-zip.org/)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

And 7-zip uses AES256 encryption.
      http://betanews.com/2009/11/05/is-ae...ion-crackable/
      So far no known cracks against AES256 exist, theory not withstanding.
      Anyway, Joe and Sally Sixpack, managers and developers won't be breaking it any time soon, unless that have a supercomputer and plenty of time.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks. I've got to admit, I'm favorably impressed by CherryTree. It's way better than Treepad Lite, the only native version of TP for Linux. Treepad Business still has more features, but there aren't that many important to me that are missing. CT doesn't check spelling, but I see it on the developer's web page as one of his To-Dos.

I thought a big reason to use Treepad Biz was so that could run it either when I'm using Windows or Linux. However, there's a Windows version of CherryTree. I just installed it. So ... I'm going to use CherryTree for all my new stuff. Some of my older TP files are quite complex and it would be a beast to convert them over, so I'll keep using TP for them.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Working...
        X