This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/kate'

Every time I start Kubuntu I get that message. I have to shift to TTY6, pkill kate, then shift back to TTY7 for the desktop or else I can not launch any programs. This has been covered on these forums a number of times, but I never managed to find a working solution. I have Kubuntu set to start with an empty session each time, so it is not a session problem. I am stumped, any ideas?
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

I wonder if installing Boot Chart might help. It does record everything that happens during boot; perhaps you can find where or how that spurious kdeinit4 /usr/bin/kate (if that's what it is) comes from?

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/bGNULwq.png
      Here is a bootchart if it helps.
      Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

VMware modules compiled while you were booting? Now that's weird.

The chart isn't too helpful for diagnosing this problem. Instead, I think you will need to go crawl through the logs and look at what kdeinit4 (and related processes) are doing. Perhaps there's a better way to capture this information; Boot Chart was just my initial thought.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          VMware modules compiled while you were booting? Now that's weird.

The chart isn't too helpful for diagnosing this problem. Instead, I think you will need to go crawl through the logs and look at what kdeinit4 (and related processes) are doing. Perhaps there's a better way to capture this information; Boot Chart was just my initial thought.
          RE Vmware: fwiw, the modules do not seem to shut down properly when rebooting if memory serves me right. :shrugs:

Any tips on which logs to look through?

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
            RE Vmware: fwiw, the modules do not seem to shut down properly when rebooting if memory serves me right. :shrugs:
            This sounds like something you should investigate. Borked modules normally recompile only when you try to start the player. An unsuccessful shutdown (which itself seems odd) should never trigger a recompile during the next boot. That's very, very wrong, and makes me wonder whether you might have other boot-sequence problems.

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
            Any tips on which logs to look through?
            I think Boot Chart writes its own log files. Possibly someplace under /var, I can't recall right now. There may be better tools for logging and diagnosing boot problems, you may need to enlist Google for this one.

Comment

Working...
            X