X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sandisk Clip

Did Kubuntu trash my Sandisk Clip?

I have a 4 GB Sandisk Clip MP3 player that I use every day to study French. It's nice to be able to go on a long walk while studying instead of being couped up. It came with some kind of software for Windows that I never installed because it was full of promotions and probably even iTunes (which I despise). I was able to get my language lessons and my music onto the thing via the Windows file explorer, and only the Windows file explorer. My favorite third-party file explorers (Total Commander and PowerDesk) would not work with it. But I always was able to get my audio files onto the thing.

So today was the day to add Spanish lessons. I decided to try doing so from Kubuntu, figuring it was just USB technology. What could go wrong? Turns out, plenty. When I plugged it in, Kubuntu saw the device and asked if I wanted to pull it up in Dolphin. I chose to let it. When Dolphin came up, however, it said it could not work with the device. After trying a few times, I finally gave up and booted into Windows 7. Of course, I had copied stuff from that OS many times before and nothing could possibly go wrong, nope, no siree, things were gonna be just fine for sure guaranteed and positively without a doubt. Um … maybe not. Now all of a sudden Windows could not properly install the driver for the Clip. I tried multiple times with no luck.

I thought I simply had a bad USB cable. That problem happened to me before with a different MP3 player. With a fully contented smile and 100 percent certain that swapping out the cable would solve the problem, I dug though my desk drawer to find the other cable. I was in a perfectly wonderful mood and used completely cheery language. Everything I said could have been used on a Mr. Rogers TV show if he were still with us, God rest his soul.

So I found the cable and plugged it in with a big dopey grin and singing, “The more we are together the happier we'll be.” When I still got the error message over and over, I did start to get slightly upset and started saying stuff like, “Oh, gee, shucks, heck,” and “Oh, poo!” and “gosh darnit” and “gollygeewillikers.” But there's more. At one point, not only could I not get Windows to properly see the device and copy files, it quit working altogether. I could not even power it up and listen to the audio files that were already on it.

I sighed and stayed completely cheery and sang, “Always look on the bright side of life.” I really should look into doing a children's show about technology because I was the perfectly kind and calm gentleman that always stays upbeat and happy about everything. I said, “Well shucky darn, looks like I won't be able to use this device ever again. Well, kids, I won't let that upset me!” And I smiled wide.

Later I learned from this video that I should have first set the Clip to MTP protocol instead of MSC. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGIaMBDQ2s) Is it possible that its being set to the wrong protocol caused Kubuntu to trash it? Or did it just happen to quit working?

I'm hoping the store I got this from will work with me in letting me exchange it for an identical one. I'm off to the store to give that a shot. Wish me luck with that and with my future career as a kid's TV show host.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Jul 26, 2013, 10:05 AM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

It's running again. I think it just lost its charge when I was trying to get it to transfer. Turns out its USB mode was set to "auto-detect." I've set it to MTP, but now I'm a little afraid to transfer files in Kubuntu. I think I'll try in Windows 7 first. Maybe after time goes by I'll get brave and try this in Kubuntu again. It worked with that guy in the video. I don't need any complicated syncing, just copying the files over that I want.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Comment

Working...
    X