This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Partition manager

Is there a way for Kubuntu partition manager to create NTFS partition ?
    I know i can install Gparted but i would like not to if i can help it .
    Last edited by stari siga; Jul 24, 2013, 08:10 PM. Reason: SOLVED

In Partition Manager, choose View -> File System Support to see a chart that shows supported file systems and operations. In particular, note the one operation not supported for NTFS.

Comment

Yes , i did that and creating NTFS is not supported . What can be done to make supported or i will just go for Gparted ?

Unfortunately NTFS is needed for files larger then 4 gigs of which i have few and HDD needs to be readable and writable by XP and WIN7 machine , unless someone has better idea ?

Comment

You can format an NTFS partition from the command prompt. First, create the partition using fdisk. Then run:

Code:
        sudo mkntfs -Q /dev/sd[i]XY[/i]
        Where XY is the appropriate device node letter and partition number.

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion . I could do that , but i prefer gui and if KDE tool wont do , Gparted will have to do .

Comment

On my (saucy 13.10) end the kde partition manager supports all operations on ntfs file systems out-of-the-box.
            Partition Manager supports a large number of file systems, including ext2/3/4,
            reiserfs, NTFS, FAT16/32, jfs, xfs and more. Note that to gain support for a
            specific file system other than ext2/3/4, you should install the corresponding
            suggested package.
            On older releases, check the suggested dependencies for partition-manager for extra file system support (ntfsprogs)

Comment

I have checked all dependencies , googled and no luck . Installed Gparted , formated HDD to NTFS . Done !
              Got tool that works , maybe next time may work .

Comment

Originally posted by stari siga View Post
                I have checked all dependencies , googled and no luck . Installed Gparted , formated HDD to NTFS . Done !
                Got tool that works , maybe next time may work .
                That's odd, gparted and the kde partition manager should use the same backends...so there should be no difference in supported filesystems. There might be some issue with your version of partition manager, but that's something I can't easily check on my saucy machine.

Luckily gparted worked for you, but it would be nice to know where the issue lies.

EDIT: do you have package 'ntfs-3g' installed...looks like it's not listed as a dependency on partitionmanager, but at least on my saucy machine includes the ntfs tools that used to be in ntfsprogs.
                Last edited by kubicle; Jul 25, 2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

All the deps for ntfs are already present , it is that the version of partition manager does not work with them. Saucy has this fixed with the version there.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    All the deps for ntfs are already present , it is that the version of partition manager does not work with them. Saucy has this fixed with the version there.
                    That would explain it then. Thanks, I can stop digging now .

Comment

Thanks guys ! Now we all know . Where can i get saucy version to install it in raring now ?
                      Also for those running saucy , how stable is your system , maybe i move right in to the alpha , and heck with it ?

Comment

Thanks guys ! Now we all know . Where can i get saucy version to install it in raring now ?
                        The simplest way is to download the deb package for saucy from launchpad, and see whether whether it will install on raring (that is, will raring meet it's dependency requirements).
                        Also for those running saucy , how stable is your system , maybe i move right in to the alpha , and heck with it ?
                        The devel versions are generally fairly stable...and bad breakages are quite rare. All the pre-release warnings still apply, though, there are no guarantees.
                        If you wish to test out saucy, alpha 2 was just "released": https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaucySalamander/Alpha2/Kubuntu
                        (See warnings and known issues)

Comment

Tried saucy version , still no go . Oh , well , i got good system now , no need to mess it up .
                          Thanks a lot !

Comment

Working...
                          X