This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy file dependencies, Batman

I've recently installed a French verb conjugation program named Le Conjugueur. At first when I installed it, the thing would not run and I did not know why. At the advice of another forum member, I installed a 32-bit module into my 64-bit Kubuntu. Now the program is running fine and when I butcher French I at least get the verbs right.

Now I'm wanting to run a development tool named KBASIC similar to other tools I already know and have run under Windows, Visual BASIC and REALbasic. On the KBASIC page, they say if you install it and it doesn't run it's because you don't have all the file dependencies installed. And then they show a HUGE list of these dependencies. However, I don't know how to install them. I need to learn about Linux file dependencies and how to install them. Anyone have a favorite primer page on that? This is something I'll need to know if I'm going to develop applications. I needed to learn the Visual BASIC ones (which surprisingly turned out to be simple; there aren't that many).

And, OMG, how do I install this gigantic list of dependencies to get KBASIC running? It couldn't be as simple as typing "sudo install" in front of the dependency, could it? Here's the list:

http://kbasic.com/download.html
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

For Gcc you will have to have want to install the build-essential package. it should be noted that this kbasic is a 32 bit application. unless your running 32 bit kubuntu you will need to install the packages for 32bit (:i386 at the end of the package name). since kbasic is not in the repos i would think its unmaintained or otherwise deprecaited.
    Last edited by sithlord48; Jul 23, 2013, 09:26 AM.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      since kdevelop is not in the repos
      Err...what?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        Err...what?
        thanks i'ved fixed that ment to say kbasic is not in the repos.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
          For Gcc you will have to have want to install the build-essential package. it should be noted that this kbasic is a 32 bit application. unless your running 32 bit kubuntu you will need to install the packages for 32bit (:i386 at the end of the package name). since kbasic is not in the repos i would think its unmaintained or otherwise deprecaited.
          I do have the 32-bit kubuntu package installed. I installed it to get Le Conjugueur to run. I also looked for the build-essential package in Synaptic Package Manager. It shows that I have it, version 11.6ubuntu4. But what about all those other dependencies listed at that link (http://kbasic.com/download.html). It's a big long list. Here's a short excerpt:

linux-gate.so.1
          libQtWebKit.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtWebKit.so.4
          libphonon.so.4 => /usr/lib/libphonon.so.4
          libQtSql.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtSql.so.4
          libQtGui.so.4 => /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
          libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0
          libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6
          libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6
          libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6
          libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1
          Is there a standard command line syntax to install these one by one, get-apt, sudo install ... whatever?

I hope this thing is maintained. In videos it looks promising, and it should have a light learning curve for me since I've already done a bunch of programming in Visual BASIC and REALbasic.

There is one other option: Xojo. It's a proprietary BASIC language and IDE very much like VB and RB. Actually, it is RB. The company that made RB simply changed the name of their app and gave it some slick upgrades. I've got Xojo running under Kubuntu as a trial. Everything works except you can't compile. The big disadvantage of going with Xojo is the license to make it compile is $300, and part of that license says you cannot compile for someone else. So if I wanted to write GNU software for Linux it would cost me $300 to get started, and anyone who wanted to work with the code would also need to fork out their $300. KBASIC can be used for free as long as it's for a GNU project.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

one thing to note is that this program is from 2010. the needed libs are present here in 13.04, but as we are now multi-arch, the paths have changed for the list of dependencies. This is why it won't run automagically.

One could try compiling it from the source, but there is a good chance that it will not build if there have been many changes in the libraries since the last kbasic release.

Comment

If you want something like Visual BASIC install GAMBAS2. It's in the repos and you should not have any probs with dependancies.

Comment

Working...
              X