This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMyMoney, downloading transactions

I've been a Quicken user for years and years, but I'm giving KMyMoney a try. I've successfully exported all my Quicken transactions as a Qif file and imported them into KMyMoney. So far so good. Now how do I download any additional transactions from the bank? In Quicken I've been downloading them as a web connect file. They always import perfectly and compare to anything I've typed in and Quicken lets me choose what to allow into the account. The newer Quicken has some feature to interact directly with my bank, but I never use that. I always just download the web connect file and then import it. If I can do that in KMyMoney, I'll be satisfied. Otherwise I'll just keep using Quicken with the dual boot and later with the VirtualBox I have planned.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Have you tried opening the file directly with KMM? That's what I used to do. I either right-clicked on the file and used the "open with" dialog to select KMyMoney, or went into system settings and edited the file association for the file type - can't remember which. This was some years ago, before using the online banking feature became easier to set up and use. After saving the setting, rekonq/konqueror would grab the file and open it directly with KMM.

If you use firefox, you may have to associate the file type from it's settings.

Comment

Good idea, tried it, no dice. It says "unknown file format." I downloaded a web connect file both in a Quicken and in an MS Money file format. It may be that the feature simply isn't supported. A QIF file is. I could download it and import it into Quicken and then use Quicken to export the entire account as a QIF file and then import that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using an alternative program to Quicken.

Comment

Hmm. I cannot remember what format I used, probably I had the option to download as an OFX file.
        It is odd that you can't import the data from the file, as you successfully imported your original data as qif.
        Is it your web browser saying it has an unknown file format, or KMyMoney?

I can't check as I don't use a bank any longer.

This has some info on importing QIF, why it is haphazard (and ultimately no longet used by Quicken since 2005)
        http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/onl...xp.qifimp.html

So if you can, download your transactions as OFX

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Hmm. I cannot remember what format I used, probably I had the option to download as an OFX file.
          It is odd that you can't import the data from the file, as you successfully imported your original data as qif.
          Is it your web browser saying it has an unknown file format, or KMyMoney?

I can't check as I don't use a bank any longer.

This has some info on importing QIF, why it is haphazard (and ultimately no longet used by Quicken since 2005)
          http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/onl...xp.qifimp.html

So if you can, download your transactions as OFX
          Okay, thanks. Gonna check and see if my bank lets you download as an OFX file.

Comment

Working...
          X