This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype?

So, is there any good options to Skype yet? I keep wondering why no one in the OpenSource community doesn't try to come up with a similar program or at least port it but without the MS influence? With the latest news that MS/Skype keep your info or can read it, I wonder why there is not much of an alternative. It has to be good enough for 'dumb' Windoze users to use it so preferably cross-platform with an option to install on other operating systems (but, preferably open source). Even if there was a proprietary software program but an alternative. The only one I have heard of is Google Voice but I really don't want a Google product either.

For instant messages, the only standards-based item that I know of is Jabber, which uses XMPP. Many Jabber clients and servers are open source. The beauty of Jabber/XMPP is that it's decentralized; any server can talk to any other server, and no central location hoovers up everyone's messages.

Unfortunately, the various proprietary services have eclipsed Jabber/XMPP in popularity. They are very much walled gardens, capturing users into their closed systems. Attempts to provide cross-service federation are best characterized as half-assed lameness.

For voice/video, it can be more complicated. Look into the various free SIP-based services available, and choose a VoIP client that you like. Google can help you locate such things.

Comment

Working...
    X