This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with Wendy and Katie

One of my most used hot keys in Windows is the Windows button plus D or Win+D or "Wendy." Any time you touch Wendy, she'll bring you back to the Windows desktop where all your favorite goodies are.

Kubuntu does have that icon at the bottom in the task bar (? ? ? is it called something else in *ubuntu?). That's helpful. But I had hoped maybe the Windows button (or is it the K button?) plus a letter would do the same thing as Wendy. K+D. Katie. Where's Katie? If she's around, she could steal my heart and I'll never need Wendy again. I feel bad that that might hurt Wendy's feelings. She's always been good to me, but living in that dangerous house with her and all those open insecure Windows is just too much for me. So help me find Katie. I'm sure I'll like her and then maybe I'll be able to dump Wendy for good in favor of a better girl.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

I'm afraid your use of Wendy and Katie have confused me somewhat but here's how to apply the Meta+D short-cut to "Show Desktop".
    1. Go to System Settings | Shortcuts and Gestures | Global Keyboard Shortcuts.
    2. Select KWin in the KDE component drop-down.
    3. Search for Show Desktop.
    4. Change the Custom option to Meta+D.
    5. Apply.

Just about anything is possible in KDE.

Comment

LoL very humorous posting Tom_ZeCat.

I could also add if you want an icon in the system tray; right click on the taskbar --> Panel Options --> add Widgets. Look for the "show desktop" widget. The only time you can't use it is when the app is full screen covering the system tray and that seldom occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulW2U View Post
        I'm afraid your use of Wendy and Katie have confused me somewhat but here's how to apply the Meta+D short-cut to "Show Desktop".
        1. Go to System Settings | Shortcuts and Gestures | Global Keyboard Shortcuts.
        2. Select KWin in the KDE component drop-down.
        3. Search for Show Desktop.
        4. Change the Custom option to Meta+D.
        5. Apply.

Just about anything is possible in KDE.
        It worked! "Select KWin in the KDE component drop-down." I almost missed that part, but fortunatelly I found KWin or Kaywin. So it's "MetaD", Mattie, in Kubuntu.

These girls, Kaywin and Mattie have made me oh so happy! I'm off to break up with Wendy now.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

My wife found this cute...
          I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Working...
          X