This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How I got Google Earth to Work

For some time now I have been frustrated with Google Earth Version 7.1.1.1871 not showing panorama images that had been loaded onto the map. If I clicked on an image, I got a white blank square. I had an older version which, after entering the location I wanted to investigate, gave me the "Invalid HTTP address" message. I could position using a mouse and this version would allow me to see images which the latest version refused to do.

So I have been caught between a rock and a hard place. I have finally found a solution which I hope is or use to others. I have tested this solution on both Kubuntu 13.04 and 13.10 and it works to my satisfaction.

On my systems, I had Google Earth already installed and I removed it by using the Muon Package Manager. Next, I downloaded google-earth-stable_6.0.3.2197-ro_amd64.deb from here. I installed it by simplying clicking on the package. For one of my systems I had to issue the command
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    for the installation to complete.

The final step was to rename the file /opt/google/earth/free/libcurl.so.4 to /opt/google/earth/free/libcurl.so.4bk. The idea to do this came from here. At this site you will see all the alternative approaches that were tried.

Considering the latest version has been out for about 9 months, Google has been really slow at fixing the problems with 7.1.1.1871

I've never seen a 64 bit deb before. Does that deb avoid pulling in the dozens (hundreds?) of 32 bit libraries?

Comment

Earlier: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...g-google-earth

The GE 64 bit, version: 7.1.1.1580, was (is it still ?) badly packaged - It only needs the lsb-core not the 32 bit packages: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post328894
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

I expect that it would use 32 bit libraries. When I was trying to solve the problems with Google Earth, I saw a suggestion that the 32B version would work, so I tried it.

I found that its performance was decidedly worse. For example at startup, the globe of the earth was covered in small multicoloured patches. These only went when I scrolled to a low altitude. Even at this level the same problems existed as with the 64B version. After that experience I have used the 64B version on my system.

We are currently planning a holiday, and for this I find Google Earth a necessity for checking all aspects. For example, I got a quote of £97.00 for transport from an airport to a hotel and found that the hotel was next to the airport!!!!

I hope that you are able to get all the aspects of Google Earth working for you.

Comment

Working...
        X