This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome Indic fonts

My desktop with Kubuntu 13.04 is behaving strangely. Hindi letters are displayed as boxes when I visit Dainik Jagran website.
    But display correctly on the BBC Hindi website.
    [I was not allowed to post links because this is my first post.

However, my friend's laptop, also with Kubuntu 13.04, display both the above websites correctly.

What could possibly be wrong with my desktop?

Some google searching found this page, which has some ideas you might try: http://www.binarytides.com/display-h...-ubuntu-linux/
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
      I tried it. Installing mangal font helped almost solve the problem. But still some boxes are seen.
      Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1i5b48j0mf7d98s/snapshot3.png
      Guess I have to learn to live with it. Its much better though.

Comment

It might be that you just need to install a few extra fonts on your system to get the page to display correctly (it displays perfectly for me, by the way).

Looking through the list of font packages that I have installed, here are the ones that I think might be needed for proper rendering of the Dainik Jagran website:

ttf-mscorefonts-installer
        ttf-punjabi-fonts
        ttf-indic-fonts-core

If you enter these commands into a console window:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer ttf-punjabi-fonts ttf-indic-core-fonts
        It will either install them, or tell you that you have them already.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

All of the above are already installed in my Kubuntu

Comment

It might be worth trying to contact the Dainik Jagran, and ask what fonts they recommend are installed for trouble-free viewing of their site.

Also, it's worth checking to see if the site displays properly in a different browser (e.g. Rekonq) on your Kubuntu system, because that would help determine if the problem lies with Chrome or elsewhere.

Other than those two thoughts, I'm out of ideas.
            sigpic
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention it, the fonts display absolutely perfect in Rekonq. I use rekonq to see Indian languages pages now.
              Chrome is not able to render Indian languages on Facebook or Gmail too. I don't visit Dainik Jagran, I was just using it as an example.

Thanks.

Comment

I am using Chromium and have no problem with fonts on www.jagran.com.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X