X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torrent and torrent clients speed problem

Hello,

I have 3 computers: an old dell and two asus net books. A week ago they were running Ubuntu 10.4, 12. and a previous version of kubuntu. I decided to switch them all to kubuntu 13.04.

My usual download speed on deluge is aroun 5M/since the upgrade and installations, i'm now getting around 14Kb/s.

The only thing that has changed in the past week is the os. I was using the same version of Deluge and i've never needed to change any settings or do any sort of forwarding on the router. Also, after Kubuntu 13.04 was installed on one machine, i started to notice the slowdown, but figured it was the connection. I checked the other two and they were downloading at normal speeds. I figured it was a setting and went ahead and installed it on the other two and now all three have the same problem.

In addition to deluge, Ktorrent and Transmisson are doing the same thing. I've tested the ports and they are open and I live in a country that doesn't throttle torrent traffic.

I have no idea what is causing this or where to start looking.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 13, 2013, 01:31 PM.

The problem with P2P is it might be the torrent provider and not your end at all. So I suggest you run some tests with --> http://www.speedtest.net
    For example; I tested with Seoul, and got Ping 250ms, DL 40 Mbps, UL 2.93 Mbps however off my local server 50 km away from me, Ping 32ms, DL 55 Mbps, UL 4.13 Mbps

If you find nothing wrong the speed the browser is providing then you can look elsewhere (other than the OS) as the culprit. If you are certain the ISP is not choking your speed and the browser is slow as well then you might want to revert one machine to 12.04 and see what happens.

Comment

I also noticed a huge speed drop when I went to 13.04, but I also noticed that the speeds picked back up after a time (I use ktorrent to rss feed my tv-show torrents). All of the torrents start really, really slow, but will eventually pick back up to "full" speed.
      I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

My speed test shows 478 down and 45 up. I know it's not hte isp, because i was running torrents on two differentmachines and the k13.04 was slow and the u10.04 was normal. Do you know of any sort of diagnostic or some way to check performnce?

Comment

the highest i've seen my torrents go on 13.04 is 20Kbs. I've waited for a couple of hours and still well below normal.

Comment

Update...

I did a freah install with xubuntu and the torrents are still going extremely slow. So, it appears it's something with Ubuntu 13 and not so much kde. If anyone is interested, I'll continue to post my progress here.

Comment

+1

Same experience. The major difference in my usage of 12.04 and later is that I use Network Manager, which I never used to do. Speeds are much faster without NM.

I think I'll do the experiment of trying torrents on a partition with a recent version of Kubuntu, but with NM uninstalled.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
              and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I went ahead and tried qbittorrent (also allows rss feed downloads). I saw a HUGE speed increase between it and ktorrent. Even when ktorrent gets to top speed, it's still much slower than qbittorrent. Just for S&G's, I installed from the PPA
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

Working...
                X