X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with KSplash-Background

Hello.

I am attempting to get to have all background-wallpapers to be the same and to be changed at the same time.
    What I have done so far to achieve this is the following:
    - the file in /usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun/contents/images/2560x1600.png (thats where the default wallpaper is) is used as Desktop-Background
    => only it is a wallpaper that I have named "2560x1600.png" and copied in there
    - the lightdm-login background and the lock-screen are also set to the default wallpaper

That way I can easily change my wallpaper in all 3 of those applications just by copying a new one named "2560x1600.png" in the default-directory.

The only thing is: this does not (fully) work with Ksplash.
    What I've tried so far:
    - i created a link to the default-file in /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksplash/Default/1600x1200/ and named it "background.png" (which was the name of the original file
    - i then deleted the cache in /var/tmp/kdecache-usern./ksplash and ~/.kde/(cant remember full path now)

After rebooting "my" wallpaper was shown but ksplash resized it in a way it only covered a part of the login screen. It was sized so it only covered the screen from top left to the center of the screen while the bottom was black.

Now my question is:
    is there a way to get ksplash to accept my "linked wallpaper" and also getting it to cover the entire screen?
    (Screen-resolution is 1366x768 btw.)

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    thanks in advance.

Ok,

I just found out myself.
    What was needed was a folder named "1366x768" (my resolution) in /usr/share/kde4/ksplash/Default/ which also contained a link to the default wallpaper.

To conclude this (rather useless) thread (I am sorry for that):
    If you like the idea of how I change all those background images and followed the instrucions above, these steps have to be executed to change the backgrounds simultaniously:
    - name your desired wallpaper "2560x1600.png"
    - in Terminal: "sudo cp /Path to wallpaper /usr/share/wallpapers/Elarun/contents/images/"
    - and: sudo rm /var/tmp/kdecache-username/Default-somename.png

The wallpaper should then change immedeately and ksplash with the next reboot.

Comment

You may also want to look at HOWTO: Create a smooth transition from KDM log in screen to Ksplash screen

This is an older post of mine (2011), but the issue concerning "crop" vs "scale" in the ksplash configuration file still exists. I brought this issue up on the KDE Support Forum as well as (IIRC) filing a bug against it. Yet the issue persists still.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think with my method this would not be much of a problem. By resizing the Image (the one which will be renamed 2560x1600.png and moved to the default-wallpaper-location) to the screen-resolution (in my case 1366x768) it would not make any difference whether "crop" or "scale" is set in ksplash.
        This might not be a solution, but this workaround solves the issue you mentioned.
        What I dont like about my way of getting a consistent look is, that it is not very comfortable. (But the transistion is smooth )

Btw: My Opinion is that the devs should at least give the user an option to change the default look of Ksplash. I dont see why there cant be a config-gui for Ksplash when there is one for lightdm (which is relatively new), KDM and the standard background.

PS: Sorry, I just read the entire Thread you linked and saw that poster#4 said about the same thing I did concerning the image-size.
        Last edited by Caaarl; Jul 14, 2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caaarl View Post
          I dont see why there cant be a config-gui for Ksplash when there is one for lightdm (which is relatively new), KDM and the standard background.
          I personally don't know if this app will still work with the newest KDE, but you can give it a try. KSplasherX for KDE4
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X