This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok won't play mp3's even with kubuntu-restricted-extras

The Amarok theme will play, but no mp3 will play at all. System sounds are fine. Not sure what else I should look for.

Hmmm...did you restart your system after installing the restricted-extras? Make sure that your system has the packages lame and libmp3lame0. They should have been installed with the restricted-extras meta-package, but make sure.

Comment

Those packages show as installed. Nothing happens if I select an mp3 in Amarok. The progress bar doesn't move or anything.

Comment

Do your mp3 file names have the character "#" in them? If so, delete the "#".

Also, go to System Settings > Multimedia > Phonon > Backend. Which back end are you using?

Comment

There are no extraneous characters in the file names of my music files. The Phonon backend is Gstreamer. And I forgot to mention that I've rebooted multiple times without seeing a change.

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil View Post
            The progress bar doesn't move or anything.
            I used to see something similar with kaffeine on a PC that has long since departed this world. The fix was always to install some missing files.

Do your MP3s play when using another player such as JuK?

Comment

Never mind. Permissions issue on my music files! Fixed now.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, as always.

Comment

I know this is not a solution but personally, I prefer Rhythmbox because it's far more simple, Amarok just want's to take you online for every single little thing related to the MP3, which I don't care about and people like me have data usage caps.

Edit: I guess one solution is to try the same MP3 with other players, if it plays with them, then go from there.

Edit 2: Oops, did not see you solved the permissions problem, nevermind, lol.
                Last edited by tek_heretik; Jul 07, 2013, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X